Barbour & Waterman Gymnasiums, ca. 1900
The first organized campus sports were cricket in 1860 and baseball in 1863. for years students lobbied for permanent athletic facilities, claiming that a gymnasium would help reduce rowdyism. Waterman gymnasium for men (right) was completed in 1894 on the site of the original baseball diamond. Two years later Barbour gymnasium for women (left) was added with social rooms and an office for the new Dean of women, Dr. Eliza Mosher. Both gyms were demolished in 1977 and replaced by the Dow chemistry building in 1989.
Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library