Prominent philosopher and educator John Dewey lived in the house on the southeast corner of Forest and South University when he chaired UM's philosophy department from 1889 to 1894. A block of stores including Witham's Drugs was built around it in 1929. In 1970 Witham's was replaced by Village Corners, known for its wine selections and counterculture atmosphere.
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library