Provincial Capitol of the New ( federacy -The City of Mnntgomery, ( tho capital of Alabama, had assumed , such a Kudden irnportance as the tal of the Southern Confederacy and ( the eeat oí the Federal operations oí the new goyenunent, tiiat we give ! ]ow a byieí sko eb ot' its loprjliíy and ( surroundings. It is eituatod on the ( left bank of the Alabama liiver, 331 . inilo.s by water from Mobile,, and is 839 miles from Washington, D. 0. It is , the second city in the State in respect to trade and population, and is onj of the most flourishitHg inbind towns of tho Bouthern Statas, possessing great facilities for coinrnuniuation with the sun'ounding country. For eteaniboat navijjation the Alabaraa lïiver is one of the best in the Union, tha largest steainera asconding to that point from Mobile. The city is also the western terminus of "the Montgotnery and West Point Ruilroad. It has severa? exteusive iron ioundries, milis, faotries, warehouses, uumerous elegant fetorsa and privato residenoes. Thu cotton shipped at this place annually amounts te about one hundred thousand bales. The public record were removed from Tuscaloosa to Montgromery in November, 1847. The State House was destroyed by fire in 1849, and another one was erected on the same site in 1851. The present population of the city ia r.ot f?f from 16,000.