Mary H. Clark, who died at her residence in Ano Arbor, June 3Oth, 1875, in the sixth-third year of her age, deserves more than a passing notice at the hnnds of the press. She was bom June 2óth, 1813, at Albany, Se York. Atter haring taught school in that State lor aeveu yoars.her amliition to tnoroughly prepare heiselí for the honorable Tocatinn which tiecaine her lite work, induced her to nrtend the scliool ot Mra. Emma Willard at Tioy, Xeiv York, then justly celebrated thpuhout the country After completing her stu.ties al Mra. Wlllard's, she carne to Michigan ui the tall ot 1837, her tather, Rev. Willlam A. Clark, D. D , having removed with his family to Brighton in this State. She opened a school at Ann Arbor on the 18th ot November, 1839, in the brick building on Main street, which was afterwards knowu as the Argus Block, the Michioan Arous having been published in it ome years ago. In December, 1839, in conjunction with her siater, Miss Ghloe A. Clark, she opened a Select School tor Young Ladies in the house now occupied by Mr. A. Hawfcins, at the corner of Fourth and Liberty streets. Iu Auyust, 1841, this school was removed to the house on Main Street now occupied by Mra. Fuller, a íow doors south of what is now the store ot Messrs. Mack & Schtnid. After some years, the school was removed to the house at the corner ot Huron and Second streets, which has since been incorporated in the Leonard House. After eight years, the Miases Clark removed to the Schetterly house at the corner of North and Fourth streets, where the school was continued uutil 1864, wheu tha building and much of its contenta were destroyed by fire. This disaster swept away the earnings of years, and left her without other meiuis than her resolute will, the excellent reputation of the school, the good wislies of friemls, and the afiectionate remembrances of pupils and graduates. Most women at the time of life she had then reached would have regarded the rebuilding of the fortunes of the school as hopeless. But the generous offers of aaaitance which carne flocking to her, soon showed the strong personal affection which the sisters had inspired among their pupils and others. With the aid received she purchased the lots at the corner of North and División streets, on which she erected the brick edifice in which she reopened the school, and it was continued there uutil the end of the school term which precedod her death only a few day. The Misses Ciark's school, of which she was the head, is undnbtedly the oldest select school in JMichigau that has beeu contiiiued to the present time. It preoeded the organiztion of the Michigau University. For many years it was largely attended, aud it has enjoyad a wido aud excellent reputation. In late yearsf owing to the elevatiou of the grade of the free public schools oí the State, the number of pupils at the Misses Clarlc's school was greatly diminished, but to many mothers it seemed to the last that there was uo better place for the education of their daughters in all that makes womau womanly and lovely in character. The death of Miss Clark closes the school forever, but its good work will go on in hunüreds of Christian homes bnghteued anl graced by ladies who have recoived her instructiou and who gratefully acknowledge their lastiug obligaiions to her. Miss Clark was in many respects a remarkable woman. Her energy in good woiks never flagged. Her meniory was singularly retentive and well stored. There is probably no wouian surviving her who kuew so much oí the local history of Ann Arbor or Washteuaw county. She hau a special iondness for the study of botany and pursued it with great zeal and success. Her botanical collectiou is said to be quite extensivo and valuable. She was a member of the Ann Arbor Scieutific Association, and was highly regarded by the edu cated men and women of her acquaintance, aud that acquaintance was quite extensivo. She loved good books and read a good dealf but prëfered after all the companiouship of her friends. She seemed to kuow everybody in the conimunity in which she hved, and was uuiversally respected. She was a devoted member of the church, and ior mauy years the lector oí St. Andrew's at Aun Arbor bas had no more faithful assistant than she was iu parish work, or in active charity among the poor. She was social in her dispostition but resolute in her principies. No mother could watch more earuestly or carefully over the iuterests and moráis of a daughter than she did over thoieentrusted to her. It would proba" bly be generally agreed iu Anu Arbor that ex" cepting one's own relativos, no woman would be more missed. In many families in Ann Arbor she went and carne like a near relative, and her death is lainented hke that of a sister. But after all, peihaps the poor and Iowly whose homes she cheered with her unobstrusive kindness, and the sufferiug at whose bedaide she ministered, will miss her most. She was a noble Christian woman. It would seem that for such as she, belongs the benediction of scripture : " Well done good and faithful servant ; enter thou iuto the joy of thy Lord."