Lansing, Jan. 4, 1879. This has been an eventful week in the capital city oí Michigan. Thirty years ago similar scènes were enacted in the then-amall town of Lansiug. Tho capital was located almost in the woods. Several towns in tho State were aspirants for tho honor, but the geographical position of Limsing decided the matter in favor of this place. The old St&to House, erected thirty years ago, is a plain wooden structure, otally inadequate for the prosent wants of tho legislatura and State officers. With the growth aud development of tho State a new Capitol was demanded. The question was firert agitated some yeara sinee. From a small villago tliirty years ago, tho capital city to-iay has become a smart, handsome town of 8,500 people. It is beautifully located on both sides of Grand river. The streets aro broad ani laid out at right anglos. The city has tliree of the State iustitutions - tho Capítol, Reform School and Agricultural College. Lansiug is quite a raüroad ceutor, there being sevou ways oit of tho city by rail Ita manufacturing iutereets aro rapidly becoming quito extensivo. The futuro of Lansing is bright and full of promiso. Jan. 1, the timo of tho dodicatory exercises, was a lovely day. The occasion bróught many peoplo to the" city. The streets and hotels were crowded all day. At an early hour the throng began to pónr into tlio new Capitol. The exercises, which were very interesting and ontertaining, bogan in Reprosentative hall at 10 o'clock a. m. Gov. Croswell presided with his accnstomed grace and diguity. In front of him were seatod fivo ex-Governora and other distinguished persons. (Jhief Justico Campbell, of tho Supreme Court, administered the oath of office to Gov. Croswoll and other ofticors. After music by a home choir, Gov. Croswell introduced ex-Gov. Feloh, of Ann Arbor, tho oldest living ex-Governor óf Michigan Ex-Gov. Felch said the occasion was an extraordinary ono. He alluded to o'.den times, lio apcko feelingly of the earlior Govornors of tho fatate, and paia them high compliments. The populatioii of the Btato haa increased from !M1,0(Xl to 1.50J.OOO. Ho referred with pride to Miehigan's edueational facilities. lts noble Uniyersitv has a bright future bofore it. Gov. Folch took the oath of office thirty-threo years ago. Ho closed bis interesting rominiscences by expressing faith in the future of Michigan aud in the perpetuity of repnblican govornment. Ex-Goy. Greonly, who, in 1847, signed the bill making Lansing tho State capital, related the history of its transfer from Detroit to this place. Ex-Gov. lilair, of Jackaon, tho noble "war Governor" of Michigan, was received with great appl&use. Ho spoke feelingly and with niuch power. Ho gavo much good advice to tho assenibled legislatura. He hoped a new era of libera lity in the matter of salaries for State ofticers had opened. The Governor ought to havo a mansïou in Lansing, and a salary largor than a coimnon dry-goods clerk. The Circuit Judges. too, ouglit to be better Paid. We need aol.' men in our judicial placea. We have a fine Capitol, but it is more important to have goo.i legislation therein than to possess a coatly lrailding. The constitntion of the State sadly neods revisión to meet the I iies of tho present. Ex-Gov. Baldwin, underwhoao administration tho new Capitol was suggestod, followod, recalling tho history of the Territory and State from 1805 to tho present new era. Ex-Gov. Bagloy road a pleasing and graceful paper, thanking God for tho peaoe aud prospority we enjoy. Let all classes alike enjoy its blossings. Uur pioneer fathers atlopted as tho motto of the State, "If thou seekeat a beautiful peuinsula, behold it hore." And wo thus )- iiold it to-day. '-Let us see to it that our State Gtovernment, in all its branches, lic so just, so ivise, so beneficont that we may say, if thon leekest a beautiful península, not iu material :hinga aloue, but in good citizenship, in puro manhood and womauhood, in love of libortv, in belief in freo institntions, in care of the'unFortunate, in general nd liberal education, benold it here ! " Hon. E. O. Grosvenor. Vico ProBÍdout of the Board of Building Commissioneiw, read a report, closing with the formal presontation of ihe Capitol to tho Governor. The corner-stone of the new Btructure was laid Oct 2, 1873. This fine building, erected at 1 coat of $1,500,000, is made of Amherat, Ohio, iandstone. All of the materials omployed in tho construction of the edifice aro of the best of their several kinds. Mr. Elijah E. Mvers, fonnerly of Springfield, HL, was the architect, md N. Üaborn k Co., of Kochester, N. Y., the builders. The work was wisely and honestly performed. The Uapitol is 845 feet in length, md 2(5Ü feet in hoight. The night-lighting is affected by six prismatic gasaliers ignited by electricity. The State library occupies tw'o floors and tho whole of the western wing. Gov. Croswell responded, and, in bohalf of he State, accepted tho Capitol building. The Governor's reception in the Capitol iu the evoning was a very brilliant affair. His claughtor, Miaa Croswoll, assisted her father in receiving and entertaining tho numerous callörs. Tho Capitol waa thronged in every part, md the approachee to tlie Governor's room jammed from 8 to 10 o'clock. The building as lighted from the top of the domo to the basement, and presented a beautiful appearnce. The Senate met at 12 o'clock on Wednesday, Lieut. Gov. Sossious presiding. Tho f Ho wing are the omcerselect: Kecrctary- Edwin S. Hosïins. Aspistant Seeretary - CL C. Hopkins. Engrqpsiug and Enrolliníí Clerk - D. E. Groesbeck'. Serseaut-at-Arma - C. H. Perkius. Assistant Sergeaut-at-Anus - John S. Brubaker. Sccontl AsKititalit Sergeant-at-Arms- George Fower. Assistant Engrossinpr aud Enrolling Clerk- O. F Morse. Pustmastf-r -L. H. Ludlow. Asslstant PoHtraaster - iï. Giflling. The House waa called to order at 13 :15 o'olock by the Clem of the last House, Daniel S. Crossuiau. Ninety-one membors responded to the calling of the rok. The oflicors of the Houso are : Speaker - John T. Rich. Speaker pro tem, - E. P. Allen. Clerk - Daniel L. Crossman. Arms-W. K. Childa. Engrossing and EnroUing Clerk - V. W. Bruco. Both houses have taken a receas from Thursday afternoon until noxf Tuesday evening, to enable the prosidüig officers to form the committees. As yet but Iittle has been done in either house. Petitions asking for a Reform School for Girls begin to come in. The Governor'a mossage waa well received, and ia regarded aa a well-written, practical, and common-sonse Stato paper. The Lientonant Governor and Speaker Rich are both intelligent and practical farmers. Thus the agricultura} interesta of the State are reeogoized at the capital. Most of the mombers of the Legislature and officera have gono home to spend the recess. Upon their return the public may expeet a flood of potitions and rebolutione. G. W. H.