John N. Fowler, of the well-known firm of Merrick, Fowler & Esselsty n vessel owners of this city, died at his rosidenoe, 500 Woodward avenue, Saturday mora ing af ter an illness of seveml weeks' duration. Mr. Fowler was strickeu with paralysis on the 31st of March, but lor the three weeks following he suffered but little pain and his mind was clear. About a inontu ago he becatne delirious aud continued to grow worso united Saturday rnorning, when he pussed away. He was born in Connectiout April 24, 1812. Ia early manhood he engaged in the mercantile business at Brownville, Jefferson eounty, N. sY. Later he removed to Clayton, N. Y., where he carne associated with E. G. Merrick in the vesseland lumber business, and continued tobe oneof his business partners to the time of hisdeath. Messrs. Menick & Fowler were the owners of one of the first line of steamers establislied between Lewiston acd Montreal. In 1856 the partners carne to Detroit and engnged iu a vessel business which at one time attained immense proportions. Theíirm of which Mr. Fowler was a member were also large real estáte owners. He was an officer and meinber of the Central M. E. Church. He leaves a wife and three daughters, Mrs. Dr. Gilbert of this city; Mrs. Fowler of Chicago, and Mrs. Tucker of Flint. His funeral will take place on Tuesday.- Detroit Pust and Tribune May 19. The deceased was a relativa of the wife of tho editor and pubüsher of this paper.