A. E. White, Former U-M Man, Passes
Was Director Of Engineering Research Institute 33 Years
Prof.-Emeritus Albert E. White, 72, former director of the University Engineering Research Institute and a leading researcher in the field of high-temperature metallurgy, died early this morning at S't. Joseph’s Mercy Hospital here.
He had been ill for several months.
Under his guidance, the Engineering Research Institute grew from a small organization involving a handful of research projects to an institution which, in the final year of Prof. White’s administration, carried on more than $8,000,000 worth of research.
He was director of the institute from 1920 to 1953.
His contributions to the field of high-temperature metallurgy have played an important part in the development of materials for such applications as gas-turbine engines and jet aircraft power plants.
As a result of his specialization, he was called in to help solve problems during the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
For more than 40 years he was a consultant with the Detroit Edison Co.
Prof. White was instrumental in founding the American Society of Metals and served as that organization’s first president. He also was former president of the American Society for Testing Materials.
In recognition of his outstanding service in the field of metallurgical engineering, Prof. White was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree by his alma mater, Brown University, in 1925.
Prof. White was author or coauthor of 10 books and bulletins on various aspects of metallurgical teaching and research. He also is author or co-author of 160 articles published in technical and professional journals dealing primarily with metallurgical engineering.
He was a member of the First Methodist Church and had served twice as president of the Board of Trustees. He also was a member of the Rotary Club.
Prof. White, who had become a full professor at the age of 35, was born in Plainville, Mass., on March 12, 1884. He studied at Brown and Harvard Universities.
In 1911, he came to the University as an instructor in the chemical and metallurgical engineering department.
Prof. White, who began his retirement in 1953, lived at 2110 Dorset Rd.
He was married to Margaret Bell Arnold of Wellsville, O., in 1911. She died in 1934. A son, Arnold, died three years ago.
In 1935, Prof. White was married to Mrs. Elsie Speckmann Hauswald, who survives. Also surviving are two grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Muehlig Chapel with the Revs. Merrill R. Abbey, Erland J. Wangdahl and Dwight S. Large officiating. The Rev. Mr. Large was formerly of Ann Arbor and is now in Philadelphia.
Burial will be in Forest Hill Cemetery.
The family has requested that contributions be sent to the Association of Allergists for Mycological Investigation, Inc., President Homer E. Prince, M. D., of 808 Caroline St., Houston, Tex.
Prof. A. E. White
University of Michigan - Faculty & Staff
University of Michigan - Engineering Research Institute
Muehlig Funeral Chapel
Forest Hill Cemetery Company
First Methodist Church
Detroit Edison Company
Books & Authors
Ann Arbor Rotary Club
American Society of Metals
American Society for Testing Materials
Ann Arbor News
Rev. Erland J. Wangdahl
Mrs. Albert E. White
Merrill R. Abbey
Margaret Bell Arnold White
Elsie Marie Speckman Hauswald White
Arnold E. White
Albert E. White
2110 Dorset Rd