Press enter after choosing selection

Girl Scouts Will Dedicate Camp Hilltop Sunday

Girl Scouts Will Dedicate Camp Hilltop Sunday image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
OCR Text

Girl Scouts Will Dedicate Camp Hilltop Sunday

Ceremonies Will Mark Completion Of Project Begun Three Years Ago

The dreams and hopes and efforts of more than three years will come into official actuality Sunday afternoon when the Ann Arbor Girl Scout Council holds its formal dedication of Camp Hilltop.

The lodge, located just off Huron River Dr. about a quarter of a mile northeast of the city, will be the scene of an open house from 2 until 5 o’clock Sunday afternoon with dedicatory ceremonies scheduled for 2:30.

General chairman of the event is Mrs. Albert Marckwardt. Mrs. Paul Bigby, Mrs. W. T. Dempster, Mrs. Charles Lopez, and Mrs. Charles Staubach form the central committee.

Project Started In 1946

Sunday’s outdoor dedication will climax a plan which first took shape in the spring of 1946 when Cone W. Lightall donated the land for the lodge site.

Other contributions, including labor by members of the carpenters, bricklayers, and electrical workers unions affiliated with the Washtenaw County Building and Construction Trades Council, have brought the camp to completion.

Mrs. James Kennedy, president of the local council, will act as mistress of ceremonies Sunday. Girl Scout Troop 25 will furnish vocal music and Mrs. J. H. Hodges, past council president, will talk on “Early Camping Experiences in Ann Arbor."

Special recognition will be given to the individuals and organizations whose contributions have brought Camp Hilltop into being.

Girl Scout officials have asked that all children attending the event be accompanied by parents.

Hostesses for the afternoon will be Mrs. J. K. Annis, Mrs. Charles Barclay, Mrs. Albert Blashfield, Mrs. Paul Cheney, Mrs. Melvin Ivory, Mrs. Horace Miner, Mrs. John Morrow, Mrs. Wayne Pryor, Mrs. Russell Pryce, Mrs. Gardner Riley, Mrs. Robert Schleicher, and Mrs. R. E. Sevebeck.

Light refreshments will be served following the dedication ceremonies.