The University's Fifth Triennial Medical Conference will draw about 500 doctors to the campus today through Saturday. Medical School alumni will see many changes in Ann Arbor in its role as a medical center. Several new medical buildings have been started or completed recently. Doctors and nurses make up an ever-increasing part of the city's population.
SIMPSON MEMORIAL INSTITUTE: Devoted to medical research the Thomas Henry Simpson Memorial Institute For Medical Research on Observatory St. is operated in conjunction with nearby University Hospital. The endowment for building and research was set up in 1924.
LLOYD CANCER RESEARCH CENTER: The Alice Crocker Lloyd Cancer Research Center, 24-room radiation clinic underground, (shown under construction in foreground), will be completed next spring. Cobalt and cesium 137 - sources of energy radiation - will be used in medical study. New Kresge research building is in background.
OUTPATIENT CLINIC: A new $3,000,000 Outpatient Clinic was opened this year. The building is directly connected at three levels with University Hospital. Eighteen specialized clinical divisions, emergency services as well as X-ray and laboratory facilities are provided.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL: Main entrance of University Hospital, most familiar to returning Medical School alumni, hundreds of whom are visiting the campus this week.
KRESGE BUILDING: Nearing completion is the Kresge Research Institute Building just west of University Hospital. Dedication of the building is set tentatively for December.
VETERANS READJUSTMENT CENTER: Just northeast of University Hospital is the Veterans Readjustment Center, completed in 1946. The clinic has a 50-bed capacity.
PUBLIC HEALTH SCHOOL: Adjacent to the Simpson Memorial building on Observatory St. is the School of Public Health Building, the entrance of which is shown here.
NEW MATERNITY HOSPITAL: Opened in February, 1950, the University Maternity Hospital has a capacity of 74 beds and 40 bassinets. The modern structure has two delivery rooms, one operating room and a large laboratory with facilities for research.
NEW VA HOSPITAL: Scheduled for dedication Sunday is the new Veterans Hospital adjoining the University's North Campus. The first patients were admitted to the hospital this week. The government hospital adds another unit to Ann Arbor's growing list of medical facilities.
ADDITION TO MERCYWOOD: The four-story addition to Mercywood Hospital on Jackson Rd. has been completed, adding another unit to the city's medical facilities. The new section (foreground) includes 75 private rooms, auditoriums, clinics and laboratories, plus other facilities. St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital also plans a big addition. Ground has been broken.
University of Michigan Medical School Alumni Conference
University of Michigan - Hospitals
University of Michigan Medical School
Simpson Memorial Institute for Medical Research
University of Michigan Thomas Henry Simpson Memorial Institute for Medical Research
University of Michigan - Buildings
Alice Crocker Lloyd Radiation Therapy Center
University Hospital Outpatient Clinic
Kresge Medical Research Buildings
Building & Construction
Veteran's Readjustment Center
University of Michigan School of Public Health
University of Michigan Maternity Hospital
Veterans Administration Hospital
Remodeling & Renovation
Ann Arbor News
102 Observatory St
1313 E Ann St