It is less than five years since the flrst electric telephone was put iuto operation ia Michigan, a fact tbat seems hardly possiblo when the vast proporlions to which the business bas already erown is considbred. The pioneer line n this state, we believe, was first put up in September, 1877, between Stearns' drug slore and laboratory in Detroit. Others followed rapidly, and as the great utility of the new invention became apparent the demand taxed the tclephone oom pames to the utmost in the manufacture of instrunients and construction of lines. The exchange system seems to have been first thought of several months later, and not until August or Septemper, 1878, was the first attempt made to bring together in a central system some of the business men of Detroit who were already using telephones. The number was very small at first, but rapidly increased. Sev eral months later exchanges were established at Saginaw, Bay City and Grand Rapids, and in the fall of 1879 the ex ehange at Muskegon went iuto operation. In the meantime great improrements had been made in telephone apparatus, the most important being the Blake ter. In October, 1879, the flrst steps were taken toward establishing an exc.hange In Port Huron, and it was put into operalion Jauuary 1, 1880, being the sixtb in the state. The subsequent giowth of the business in Michigan is shown by thu following list of exchanges, with the number of subscribers May 1, 1882: Numbers of Exchanges. Subscribers. Adrián 73 Alpena 60 Ann Arbor 60 Bay City 197 Big Kapids SI Detroit 1,061 East fc'aginaw and Saginaw City 277 Flint 76 Grand Haven 88 Grand Rapids 44 Jackson 178 Kalamazoo 70 Lansing 89 Ludington 56 Manistee 69 Menominee , 34 Montague 44 Muskegon 177 Mt. Clemens 25 Niles 88 Port Huron 114 St. Clair lb Bt. Joseph 33 ThreeRivers 88 Ypsilanti 66 No. of eichanges 25. No. of subscribers 3,3'33 The total number of sets of lelephones leased for use on private lines in Michigan, May 1, was 700, making a total minibei in U'e state of 4.023, exclusive of tliose used in the central offices of the exchauges. It will be noticed tbat the Port Iluron exchange stands seventh on the list in the number of subscribers. The system with which Port Huron is connected (Detroit, Mt. Cletnens, St. Clair, Mariue City, Marysville, Koseville and Leeseville) had a total of 1,223 subscribers May ), inde pendent of the exchange at Windsor, and other Canadian points south of Detroit. All the exchanges in Michigan are owned and operated by the telephoue and telegraphie coustruction company of Detroit, which holds the exclusive liceuse from the Ameriein Bell telephone company, of Boston, to lease lelepkones in this state. Besides the exchange above noted, this company also owns and operates the following connecting lines: Flint and Flushing Line. - Length twelve miles. Oflices Flint and Flushing. Nilcs, Buchanan and Berrien Springs Line. - Length sixteen miles. Offices Niles, Buchanan, and Berrien Springs. Kalamazoo and Galesburg Lines. - Length nine miles. Offices Kalamazoo and Galesburg. Fowler and Maple Kapids Lines. - Length nine miles. Offices Fowler and Maple Rapids. Kalamazoo and Plainwell Line. - Length twelve miles. OfHces Kalamazoo and Plainwell. The Michigan Bell Telephone Company of Detroit, holds the license to build and opérate outlying lines or liues between exchanges, and has now in operation the following: Detroit and Port Huron Line.- Length of line seventy miles. Offices, Detroit, Leeseville, Roseville, Mt. Clemens, Marine City, 8t. Clair, Marysvüle, Port Huron . Grand .Rapids and Monlague Line. - Leiigth. of Hoe sixty-eiglit miles. Ottices, (iraud Rapids, Wolf 's MUI, Lauiutil, K'tóimanvillc, Grand lluvuu, Muskcgon, Montague. Fremoiit Centre and Newaygo Line. - Length of line uine miles. Offices, Fremont Centre, Newygo. The figures given above make a complete showing of the tfclephone business in Michigan May 1, 1883. lts growth within iive years has been most remarkablu, and Us influence on the manuer of transacting business in the citius and towns where exchauges have been iotroduced bas amouuted almost to a revolution. The business, however, is still in its infantcy, and is increasing at Ihe present time wuh greater rapuiity thun ever before. Many uew exchauges will doubtless be established in Michigan duriug thu present year, and a larne nuuiber of long lines vvill be put into operation. Those now deünileiy decided upon and in Diocess of constructiou bv the gan Bell telephoue company ave as follows: From Delroit to Toledo by way of Monroe; f roin Detroit to Dexter by way of Wayue, Ypsilanti aud Ann Arbor; and from Aun Arbor to Adrián by way of Saline and Tecumseh. All of these Unes will bc put into operation witliiu the uext three inonths. Ainong the Unes contemplated, but not deiiuitely deeided upon, niay be menüoned the iollowiug: Froin Dexter to Jack son; f rum Detroit lo Foutiac; f rom Mt. Clcmeus to Ulica, and possibly to Romeo aud Lupeer; from liulgeway lo Memphis; frotn Port liurou to Lexingiou and Saudusky ; from Suginaw to Vassar, Caro and Cass City; from Port Huron to Brockway and Brockway Centre; from Fhnt to Saginaw ; and belween a large number of places in the central, western and northern parts of the state. None of these linea will be built, however, except wliere liberal subscriptions to the company's coupon scrip, payable in business over the Unes, are made. Although there are always some grumblers, it may be asserted, without luar of successful contradictiou, that no business aflezing personally so many people, and reqairing such careful aud coustant supeivisiou to remler it approximately perfect, has ever before been made so satisfactdry to all interested, within so short a period.as tl e telephoue busiiiess in Michigan. The credit for this is largely due to Mr, W. A. Jacksou, the general man ager of the compauy, a man who combines with a thorough knowledge of elecrical science the qualities of a flrst-class man of business, and whose labors to perfect the service have been untiring. Mr. Jackson ba& been ably seconded in nis work by Mr. E. F. Phillips, superintendent, and a faithfui corps of clerks, operator! and hue-men. The officers of the two companies are as follows: President, tíeo. W. Balch; Secretary and Treasurer.llugh McMillau; General Manager, W. A. Jacksou; Super intendent, E. F. Phillips: Cashier, Geo. A.