Press enter after choosing selection

Andy Johnson And The Dog

Andy Johnson And The Dog image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Washington, July 25. - Bepresentative Pettibone, oL Tennessee, who has just been renominated for Congress by acclamation, is a native of Bedford, Ohio, and íormerly attended Hirara College, and was a pupil of the lameuted Garfield. Slnce the war he has resided in Greenville, East Ïennes8ee, the late home of President Johnson. He says the old homestead looks very much as it did during the time of the tailor President, and is now occupied by his daughter, Mrs. Patterson, who prcsided during his administration a8 the lady of the White House. The little tailor's shop where Mr. Johnson used to work at his trad e still stands almost unchanged from its former appearance. "The last time I saw Mr. Johnson," said Mr. Pettibone to me, "was on the Sunday evening before his death. I often callel to see him, and he always expressed himself freely during my visits. I had a little dog which I had, in my admiration for the great soldier oL the war, called Grant. But Johnson disliked Gen. Grant so much that he could never bear to hear his name, and he always called the dg Prince. The dog was quite a favorito with the old statesman, and frequently found his way alone to Mr. Johnson's oflico, where he was al wayg treated with the greatest consideration. On this Sunday evening Mr. Johnson was much depressed in spirits. He had feit of late that his vital forces were rapidly leaving. "We walked down to the spring near liis house, and I tried as best Í could to clieer him up. Prince, as he called him, was with us as usual. The animal was getting along in years, and gray hairs in his eyebrows sho wed that he was approiiching the limit of canine existence. Looking intently at the dog a few minutes, Mr. Johnson stooped down and patting, the little fellow on the head said in a tone that I shall never fail to remember, "Prince, you and I will be going to our home before long." I left him that night still quite depresaed, and the next morning went to Knoxville to attend to some court business. While absent I received tho intelligence that Mr. Johnson had been seized witli a fatal illness and had passed away. He had started on a journey of 40 or 50 miles to his farm, in Carter country, whither his daughter, Mrs. Patterson, had preceded him a few days before. He had told me that he wanted to be buiïed by our Masonlc lodgo, of which he was a member. The remains were expected in Greenville early Wednesday moraing following, and I had the lodge drawn up in line at the depot to receive the body. Just as the train was coming in little Grant, or Prince, attemptcd to cross the track, uut was caught by the locomotivo and crushed." - Cleveland Herald. Chinese laborers wrecked in Yezo were sent to San Francisco on the steamship Triumph. Some of our woukl-be epicures now have Madeiro with the flsh - or what they declare is Madeira.


Old News
Ann Arbor Democrat