One of the pioneers of Ann Arbor is James Toms, proprietor of the greenhouse, corner Miller-ave and st. Mr. Toms was bom in Surrey, England, in 1817. He carne to Ann Arbor in 1854, and helped to build the Union School building then being erected. In 1858 he purchased his present site, then a rough and apparently almost worthless swamp. But Mr. Toms saw in it an excellent location for the establishment of a horticultural business; and by the process of draining and cultivation he soon converted it into a beautiful and thrifty garden, and established the first business of the kind in Ann Arbor. He now has two acres and a half of fine land fitted up in handsome style, with all the modern improvements of his line of business, and his property is now vaued at $4,000. His plants and flowers are always the rarest and freshest. He has continually in stock a fine variety of green-house and pot plants. He also has a choice variety of cut flowers in season, which he can supply for all occasions on short notice. In the spring he keeps a fine lot of vegetable and flower plants of every description. Mr. Toms' display of chrysanthemums is always a beautiful sight. His exhibits at the fairs always receive the highest praise, and he has taken many fine premiums. He took the first premium ever gi ven on pansies at the Detroit fair many years ago, aud has since taken many premiums at the State Fairs at Jackson and Lansing. He is a member of the Horticultural Society, and an honorary member of the state society of the same name. Mr. Toms continue3 to give his business his personal attention, and by strict integrity and close attention to business has won the respect and patronage of the citizens.