A very familiar name to Arm Arbor people is Ilutzel & Co. This has been the flrm name of the owners of a very thriving and prosperous business establishment on Main-st for a great many years. Although several changes have been made in the firm f rom time to time, yet the same well-known name has been retained, and the business has been conducted at the same familiar place. The record of the growth and development of the business of this firm is interesting, indeed, and is an important chapter in the history of Ann Arbor. Very many years ago the two stores now owned by Eberbach & Son., and Hutzel & Co., were owned by one firm known as Eberbach & Co., and composed of Christian Eberbach and Emanuel Mann. They built up a large business in drugs, paints, oils, window-glass, etc, and continued in that business until 1850, when a part interest in the rapidly increasing business was purchased by August Hutzel. The business was then divided, the drug business being continued by Eberbach & Co., and the paints, oils, w indo w-gl ass, etc, being placed in the south part of the doublé store, and handled by Hutzel & Co. About 1875, August Hutzel bought out the interest of Messrs. Eberbach and Mann in the firm of Hutzel & Co., and continued in the business alone until 1878, when his two sons, Herman and Titus F. Hutzel, became associated with him, and the same firm name continued. They then established the business of plumbing, steam-heating, gas-ñtting, and the furnishing of water and gas supplies, etc This they carried on quite extensively until 1885, when they were the successful bidders to do the piping for the Ann Arbor Water Co., then organized, which gave them an opportunity to enlarge their business. Up to the present time they have laid for this company twenty-five miles of water-mains, and thirty-five miles of surf ace pipe. A wonderful increase in that department of their business has been experienced since that time, and a great deal of outside contracting has been done. Among the cities where they have been snccessful bidders for municipal contracts are: Streeter, 111., where fourteen miles of pipe have been laid; and Elgin, 111., where they have put in over twelve miles of piping. Contracts for various kinds of ing, gas-fitting, etc., are frequently taken in neighboring cities. They have one of the best equipped shops in the state, and have all the facilities that modern inventions afford, and are able to do all their fitting and other work in their own shops. They give employment to tifteen men, and are prepnred to furnish estimates, on very short notice, in any branoh of their business, from the simple laying of pipe, to the putting in of the most intricate system of plumbing. There is nothing in this line of work which they are not able to do. They have recently rinished some very unique jobs in this city. They have put in a complete hydraulic arrangement in the Western brewery, changing it into a steam plant, something over 83,000 worth of work being put in. They are now doing from $5,000 to SC,000 worth of plumbing on the new University Hospital buildings. But their most elabórate plumbing job will be the plumbing of the new addition to President Angeli's house this fall, which they claim will be as near perfection as their work can be made. This tirm have alBO invented a new hot-water heater, known as " Hutzel's Hot-Water Boiler," which has not been given a severe test yet, because of hard winters, but which they expect great returns from as soon as a thorough, practical test can be made of it. Four of these boilers have already been placed in Ann Arbor, in the residences of Messrs. Taber, Scott, Belser and Fillmore, and have given great satisfaction in every instance. The members of the present firm, Herman and Titus F. Hutzel, are both practical business men who have always lived in Ann Arbor, both being born in this city, in 1855 and 1850 respectively, and have been identified with the development of many of its industries. They were among the principal instigators of the organization of the Allmendinger Piano and Organ Co., both being stockholders at the present time, and of which Herman Hutzel has been vicepresident since its organization. A few years ago they conceived the feasibility of Ann Arbor making its own brick, andthrough their instrumentality the organization of the Ann Arbor Brick, Tile and Sewer Pipe Co. was brought about. They are both stockholders and directora in this company, Herman Hntzel being the secretary and superintendent. They have failed to make flrst-class brick as yet, but the industry is far from dead. They have been prospecting along the railroads, and now have the option of thirty acres of very promising land near Leiand. An experimental "burn" will soon be made, and it is expected that another thriving industry will soon be added to Ann Arbor's category. The íjross revenue from tobáceo in Great Britain last ear was L9,717,784. There is no free trade in tobáceo in England. The highest inhabited place in the world is theBuddhistmonastery,Haine, in Thibet, Asia; 16,000 feet above the sea. One hundred years ago there were in the South 54,258 colored peopleto every 100,000 white people; to-day there are but 41,476.