The Ann Arbor City Roller Mills, situated on Xorth Main-st, just at the point where the Michigan Central passes under the high trestle of the Toledo, Ann Arbor and Xorth Michigan Railway, form a conspicuous object to travellers approaching the city over either of those roads. The milis afford employment to thirteen men, and have an output ranging from 175 to 200 barrels per day. Xothing but the improved roller procesa machinery is used, the grade of flour manufactured being so high that the two brands of the milis, the "Patent Roller King" and " Straight Roller Queen," have a sale extending to Virginia and the most distant eastern points. The City milis were established by J. T. Swathel, in 1844, and continued in his name until 1874. In that year Messrs. Ailes and Kyer purchased an interest in the business, the nevv tirm being known as Swathel, Ailes & Kyer. A. ïi. Peterson bought the interest of Mr. Ailes in 1880, and Swathel, Kyer & Peterson have remained the proprietors ever since. Öince 1874, when Mr. Kyer entered the ftrm, over 830,000 have been expended on buildings, the plant now being valued at upwards of 850,000. In the same time the output has increased from tvventy barrels a day to over 200 por day. Their milis being situated on both of the railroada which pass through Ann Arbor, Swathel, Kyer & Peterson enjoy exceptional facilities for the transportation of their flour and feed. Cars are drawn on to the track scales in front of the elevator, weighed, loaded with feed from one of the shoots, reweighed, and then taken away to give place to the next, all with the greatest economy of time and labor. The elevator is a tall, corrugated iron building, stored with wheat above and tlour below. The wheat room has a capacity of 10,000 bushels. The room below is so completely filled with flour that one can scarcely make his way through. In the rear of the elevator is the mili proper, a large four-story building, tilled with maohinery from the ground to the roof. Here the wheat is tirst dumped into a dustless receiving separator and thoroughly cleaned. ïhis machine is one of the first in use here. On the first floor, also, are fifteen sets of rolls. Outside the main building is the new and commodious office of the firm, and over by the side of the Toledo and Ann Arbor trestle is the cooper shop of the milis, a large three-story frame structure. From the cooper shop the barrels are rolled to the elevator on a wire tramway. Nelson J. Kyer, who has been the general busines manager of the tirm since the retirement of Mr. Swathel, about ten years ago, is a public-spirited citizen and an unusually active, energetic man. He is a native of Denmark, having immigrated to America in 1865. He has been in the milling business ever since he landed. After working in the east for three years, he carne to Michigan, going direct to Dexter, this county. Here he was employed by Evarts & Co. From Dexter, Mr. Kyer went to Scio, and entered the employ of N. W. Briggs, with whom he remained until 1871. In the latter year he moved to Ann Arbor and began work with J. T. Swathel, in the City milis, where he has remained until now. He became a partner in 1874.