One of the busiest institutions in Ann Arbor is the planing mili, and sash, door and blind factory of Luick Bros., located at the corner of Xorth and Fifth-sts. The never-ceasing hum of its wheels and machinery, as they sing the song of thrift and prosperity, can every day be heard. The proprietors of this thriving business, Emanuel and Gottlieb Luick, are both nntives of Washtenaw county. They learned the carpenter and joiner's trado in their boyhood, anddid a general contractor's business for some time. In 18G9-70, Gottlieb Luick, the younger brother, was a member of the firm of Luick & Miller, but this partnership was dissolved in 1871, and in 1873, the Luick Bros. purchased the business of Wines & DongltUB, ulio occupied a frame building on the site where the present business is now loca'.ed. In the spring of 1874, a two-story brick building was erected, the main building 64 x 44 feet, with an engine room and dry-kiln 62 x 10 feet. A few years later an addition was built to the main building, making the present structure 64 x 62 feet. They began work on a small scale, but increased their facilities as the amount of work increased. Many improvements have been made, and new machinery added, until now they have their establishment fully equipped with all the modern machinery and appliances used in the different branches of their business. One of the latest acquisitions to their factory is a new 1,000 sand-papering machine, the largest in the city, put in about two weeks ago, which will do the work of several men, and with which a beautiful glass finish can be put upon the hardest wood. Their business is principally the manufacture of doors, blinds and sashes, but a large amount of planing and custom work is done annually. They give employment to eight men continually, and have nine in their employ the greater portion of the year. They use annually upwards of 400,000 feet of pine and hardwood lumber; the pine timber used comes from Northern Michigan, with the exception of the yellow pine, which is shipped from Arkansas. The poplar timber used is brought from Kentucky, and the hardwood from local foresta. They have two fine dry-kilns with a capacity of 20,000 feet. The machinery is run by steam, a fine 60-horse-power engine being used for the purpose. Some idea of the amount of business done at their factory can be gleaned from a glanceat the business turned out last year. During the year ending January 1, 1891, they manufactured 1,770 pine doors, 350 oak doors, 2,771 windows, 1,082 sashes, 1,311 window and door frames, and 278 screens. Besides this, several inside blinds, as well as a great variety of other custom work, were also turned out. A phenomenal increase in their business has been experienced this year. A third more business will be done in all branches, and in some instances it will exceed a half more than last year; already more window frames have been made than were made during the whole of last year. The plant and stock now on hand is valued at about S30,000, the plant alone being worth S2O,0O0. To this an addition will probably soon be made, as the rapidly increasing business, and the exceedingly crowded space, makes the need of more room very apparent, indeed. The business is managed entirely by the Luick brothers, who are both experts in their line of business, stralghtforward and upright in all their dealings, and have the universal respect of their fellow-townsmen.