A boycott called Thursday night of black students against the Ann Arbor Public Schools will be partially called I off Monday, a black parents' steering committee has decided. Black children in grades kindergarten through six may return to classes if they wish Monday morning, according to Mrs. Joan Adams, a black parent and member of the committee. But black students in grades 7 through 12 are being urged to continue the boycott of the city school system. The strike had been called following a mass meeting of black parents and students over the recent racial incidents in the schools. It is estimated that the majority of black students in the city's junior and senior high schools observed the boycott Friday. The decisión to call off the boycott on the elementary level, following more than a week of racial disturbances in city schools, was made at a black parents' meeting Friday night. Mrs. Joan Adams, a black parent, told The News that two parents will be stationed at each elementary school Monday to make sure there is "no outside aggravai:o We want our children to be able to attend school peacefully with no violence." Classes will resume at the Ann Arbor ■ - ■■ Community Center on Monday morning for black students in grades 7 through 12, and they will continue there until some kind of accord is reached between the school administration and black parents, according to Mrs. Adams. A mass meeting of black students and parents will be held at 7 p.m. today at the Community Center to further discuss the racial situation at the city. j schools. Mrs. Adams said she doesn't expect the meeting to produce a list ofl demands from the black community.l Rather, "we'll try to come lip witlij something more positive. We're gring lel discuss different solutions to alleviate the racial tensions," she said. ,
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.