Press enter after choosing selection

"little Phil" Sleeps

"little Phil" Sleeps image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Nonquitt, Mass., Aug. 6 - den. RhorMan is dead. So ends the story of a t ree months' struggle for life. All through Sunday Gen. Sheridan had been in unusually good spirits, lauehing and chatting witli bis doctors and members of the family, and seemingly in better spirits than for several days. His medical attendants were also good-natured and spent a portion of the day in calling at several cottages. At 7:30 Dr. Matthews said the general was doing so well that there would probably be no bulletins issued for a week. After dinner at the hotel Mrs. Sheridan carried down to the general a large slice of roast beef, which he ate with apparent relisb. He dozed a bit during the afternoon, but awoke to eat supper and then went to sleep again. At 10 o'clock a raessenger carne bareheaded and breathless to the hotel and demanded the immediate presence of Col. Shoridan at the cottage. Five minutes after auother messenger summoned the colonel's wife. Then came the bulletin announcing death. Another messenger followed with a request for the appearance of B. N. Wilson, a Chicago friend of Col. Sheridan, who has been boarding at the hotel. Mr. Wilson remained at the cottage only long enough to return with instruetions to summon Dr. John Mackay, an embalmer, and E. T. Wilson, an undertaker, both of New Bedford. The flrst bulletin message was sent to the president, then to a newspaper, and ward to the adjutant general of the army, the secretary of war and membere of the Btaff oL the late distinguished commander. With the general at the death - bed were Mi's. Sheridan, Mary, Louise, Irene and Philip, the children, Col. Sheridan, his brother, with his wlfe, sisters Justinia and Urban, who have faithïully and tenderly nursed the dead hero from the beginning to the end, and both Drs. Reilly and Matthews. The plaintive tolling of the fog bell on the rocks just at the entrance of Buzzard's bay falling on the stillsess of midnight unconsciously expressed the grief whicu has overtaken his immediate summer friends of the past and present season. The unfavorablo symptoms, which were exhibited, made their appearance so unexpectly and were so rapid in development that it was but a chance that the children were aroused in time to take a last look at their dying father. Mrs. Sheridan and the nurses wore on their bended knees inprayer as the spirit departed. Mrs. Col. Kellogg, a dear friend of the ily, arrived just a moment after the last breath was drawn and assisted Mrs. Sheridan to her feet wben she closed the eyes of the dead hero. All was ended. The hours of suffering which commenced at midnight thrfe months ago, brought Gen. Sheridan to death's door at W ashington and atDelaware break - water and then ïshed in duration to such an extent as to bafile and deeeive the eminent skill in constant attendance upon the patiënt, suddenly ended in death. The following official bulletin was jssued at midnight Sunday nigbt: Gen. Sheridan died at 10:20 this eveninfr. Ttw immediate cause ' of death was lieart failure. The remote cause was disease of the mitral and abertic valves the existence of which was knowu to his physicians, to himself, and to his family ia November of last year. Thft complications which have occurred have been nervous exhaustion, pneumonía, and hemorrhages. The last day of his life was somewhat restless, but not more so than he has been several times since his arrival at Nouquitt. At about 9:30 systoms of heart failure suddenly appeared. The remedies which had hitherto been successful were vigorously applied but proved ineffectual, and hesank rapidly, dying paiulessly at the hour Qamed.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News