Press enter after choosing selection

A Nation Sorrows

A Nation Sorrows image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

New York, Feb. 16.- "It is all over." It was Gen. Thomas Ewing who snid these words to a group of anxious and waiting friends and reporters as je stood bareheaded on the doorstep of Gen Shertnan's residence a few minutes before 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Within a few seconds the news had been flashed over the wires to every part of the country. The old hero's long and stubborn fight with death was at an end, and he had been conquered at last. Death came slowly, but easily, and without pain tothe veteran of so many bitter struggles. He passed away at exactly 1:50 o'clock. All the members of his immediate family were gathered at his bedside at the time, except bis eldest son, Rev. Thomas E. Sherman, the Jesuit priest, who is now on his way to the country from abroad on the steamer Majestic. A Weary and Soleinn "Vigil. The dying general had beeu unconscious for several hours, and his fluttering pulse was so feeble that on several occasions it was almost irnpossible to teil whether he was living or not. His long struggle had comepletely exhausted him and it was only his remarkable vitality and will power that enabled him to cling to life so long after all hope had been given up. From time to time during the morning aome of the family would leave the room, but only to be summoned back hastily when it was thought that the end was approaching. It was in those moments that he clang to the thread of life that remained for nearly five hours after he became completely unconscious. After 11 o'clock it was expected that every moment would bring the end, and telegrams were prepared to send to all his friends and the officers of the government at Washington City as soon as dissolution occurred. Sending the News Abroad. At the final moment there was no appreciable change in the appearance of the Bufferer. He had been lying as one dead for several hours. Dr. Alexander, who had his hand on the general's breast - for he could not detect the heart beats in his pulse - was watching his face intently. He looked up quietly at just ten minutes to 2 and told the grief-stricken family that his patiënt had passed away. Gen. Ewing immediately left the room and went down to the door to announce the fact to the representatives of the newspapers, w o had been watching the house anxiously for four days. A few minutes after this Secretary Barrett we nt to the telegrat h office on Columbus avenue wlth a large batch of dispatches, which were address. J to President Harrison, each of the meinbers of his cabinet and to relatives and friends of the family at Washington City and elsewhere. A .reacetul I'assing Away. The general's death was absolutely painless. It was at 4 a. m. Saturday that a great ohange took place in his condition - a change that betokened that all the prayers which had gone up over the land that his life might be spared were in vain. He was feverish and his breathing was labored and rapid. The doctors were hurriedly called and during the morning had several consultations, but remedy after remedy failed of effect. Indeed, they were only tried on the principie that while there is life there is hope. The glands of the throat were very much swollen and the accumulation of mucus was so great that the patiënt was unable tothrow it ofï by reasonof hisdecliningstrength, and it was this gradual filling up of the lungs that finally brought the end. Gen. Shprman had not spoken a word from Friday morning until he died, altbough he was conscious apparently part of the time and recognized those aboüt him, vainly trying to speak to them. His fingers were iey cold hours before death and the coldness gradually extended to his hands and arms and body.