Press enter after choosing selection

A Chapter Of Accidents

A Chapter Of Accidents image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

C. H. St. Clair, the school furniture manufacturer, met with a painful accident while driving on Washtenaw avenue, near Elm street, last Monday afternoon. His horse became frightened at a passing eléctric car, and proceeded to tear things to pieces generally, finally succeeding in tipping over the wagon and hurlïng Mr. St. Clair to the ground with such f orce that his Ie ft leg was fractured below the knee. He was removed to his home at 33 N. Fourth street, where he is at present, recovering as rapidly as can be ex)ected. The horse was finally caught in front of Nichols' meat market, on State street, but the wagon was a complete wreek. Hermann Schnierle, a buteher employed by Charles M. Vogel, met with a rather peculiar accident Tuesday afternoon; and had it not Deen for prompt assistance he would undoubtedly have bied to death. Mr. Schnierle had just butchered a beef at the slaughter tiouse, and was engaged in skinning the carcass, when the keen knife which he was using in some way slipped and ran completely through the muscles of his right leg. Fortunately two medical students happened to be within cali, and they succeeded in checking the flow of blood until a doctor could be found. As soon as the injured man's condition made it advisable, he has carried to Mr. Vogel's residence on Ann street, where the wound was dressed by Dr. Fay. At present the injured man is resting comfortably although he is still very weak from the excessive loss of blood. Mr. Schnierle wore heavy boots at the time of the accident and the knife penetrated the rubber as if it had been made of cloth. About 11:30 o'clock Wednesday night, A. J. DeForest, a clerk in the employ of J. J. Gibson, met with a serious accident in the rear of Hangsterfer's confectionery. Accompanied by an older brother, he was just entering an alley in the rear of the store when, in the darkness his foot caught on some obstruction and he was thrown headlong down a flight of stairs leading to the basement entrance. His head struck the door at the bottom of the steps, cutting an ugly gash back of his right ear and otherwise bruising him. He was carried to the Germania hotel and Drs. Breakey anc Nancrede summoned, who gave him the required medical attention. The young man remained unconscious during the most of Wednesday night and it was fearedthathe had ed a concussion of the brain, but yesterday forenoon he rallied somewhat and the doctors in attendance are hopeful that he will come out all right providing that his constitution is strong enough to stand the shock. DeForest's home is in Detroit, and he has been in the city but a short time.