Press enter after choosing selection

Project Grow Community Gardens, Nelson Meade County Farm Park, 2230 Platt Rd, August 25, 2021

Project Grow Community Gardens, Nelson Meade County Farm Park, 2230 Platt Rd, August 25, 2021 image
Year
2021
Month
August
Day
25
Description

Nelson Meade County Farm Park:  History

"County Farm Park is located on the east side of the City of Ann Arbor. This 127-acre tract of county land was bought from Claudius Britton in 1836 for $1200. A poor house and insane asylum was built in 1837 and used until 1917 when a brick hospital was constructed and named the Washtenaw Infirmary. The infirmary stood until 1967 when it was ordered to be closed or modernized. In 1972, the infirmary was vacated (and eventually razed) and Project Grow began using 8 acres of land for their gardens.

The Parcour exercise trail was constructed in 1976 (the fitness equipment was replaced in 2001). In 1991, the Meri Lou Murray Recreation Center opened in the northeastern corner of County Farm Park, where the infirmary stood years ago. The park was formally renamed "Nelson Meade County Farm Park" in 2013 to honor the lifelong contributions of Commissioner Meade upon his retirement."

https://www.washtenaw.org/421/County-Farm-Park

Rights Held By
Steve Jensen