Press enter after choosing selection

Thomas H. Simpson Memorial Institute, 1025 Observatory St, University of Michigan, July 23, 2021

Thomas H. Simpson Memorial Institute, 1025 Observatory St, University of Michigan, July 23, 2021 image
Year
2021
Month
July
Day
23
Description

Founding the Simpson Memorial (Dea Poster)

"In 1924, Christine McDonald Simpson,* the widow of Detroit iron magnate Thomas H. Simpson, donated over $400,000 to the University of Michigan in memory of her late husband, who had died of pernicious anemia the previous year. Her objective was to endow a state-of-the-art, clinical research facility to study and find a cure for pernicious anemia, which until the early 1920s had been considered an inevitably fatal condition.

Three years later, on Feb. 10, 1927, the Thomas H. Simpson Memorial Institute opened its doors in Ann Arbor. The granite, Beaux-Arts building on South Observatory Street — complete with a walnut-paneled lobby and library, offices, laboratories and accommodations for up to 10 patients — was designed by renowned architect Albert Kahn."

https://www.michiganmedicine.org/medicine-michigan/founding-simpson-memorial

Rights Held By
Steve Jensen