Press enter after choosing selection

U-M Project Makes Giant Strides

U-M Project Makes Giant Strides image
Parent Issue
Day
20
Month
May
Year
1958
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Mrs. David Weyant works the mechanical manipulator at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, June 1955

Mrs. David Weyant works the mechanical manipulator at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, June 1955 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 8, 1955
Caption
FOR HANDLING RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS: This mechanical manipulator, demonstrated here by Mrs. David Weyant (left), technologist, enables researchers to handle highly-dangerous radioactive materials from outside the "caves." Mrs. Weyant demonstrates the versatility of the manipulator by picking up a book of matches, taking one match out, lighting it and then lighting a cigaret (right) for Dean Ralph A. Sawyer of the U-M Graduate School. Prof. Sawyer heads the Phoenix Project.

Dignitaries at the dedication of the University of Michigan's Phoenix Project, June 1955

Dignitaries at the dedication of the University of Michigan's Phoenix Project, June 1955 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 9, 1955
Caption
HERE FOR PHOENIX LABORATORY DEDICATION: Prominent in dedication ceremonies this morning for the new $1,500,000 Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on the University's North Campus were (left to right): U-M President Harlan Hatcher; Detroit Edison Co. President Walker L. Cisler, who gave the dedication address; Dean of the U-M Graduate School Ralph A. Sawyer, director of the Phoenix Project; Chester H. Lang, vice-president of General Electric Co. and national chairman of fund-raising for the Phoenix Project; and George W. Romney, president of American Motors Corp. who presented the Mason Memorial Library honoring the late George W. Mason, former president of American Motors, to the laboratory. (Story on page 19.)