Ann Arbor News, September 19, 1963
Landscape Changing: Sprawling new construction at the Willard J. Maxey Boys' Training School is becoming an important new aerial landmark west of Whitmore Lake. In the first construction area at the left of this aerial photograph structural steel is rising for a new school building. Masonry walls are about one-third completed for a 140-boy housing unit going up in the second construction area, background. In the foreground is the school's new reception center and classroom building. Another housing and special treatment unit accommodating 162 boys is located down the road from the reception center. It is not shown in this photograph.
Sun, 09/28/2014 - 12:54pm
Please take a moment to take our "Living Oral History Survey and let us know what you learned.
Johnny W. Barfield was born February 8, 1927, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. As a child he sold soap house to house and, after tenth grade, joined the U.S. Army where he served in France and Germany. After leaving the Army in 1947, Mr. Barfield became a wall washer for the University of Michigan, where hard work, entrepreneurship, and innovation helped him build the largest cleaning business in Ann Arbor. Mr. Barfield is widely recognized for his philanthropic work and support of the African American and business communities.