Ann Arbor News, March 22, 1956
Pictured in the News aerial photograph is the 75-acre area on Ann Arbor's north side which the city is considering as the site for a major redevelopment project. The solid white lines enclose the 48-acre tract originally proposed for redevelopment. The broke white lines enclose additional tracts added to the project by City Council action Monday. The extreme western portion of the area (left side of picture) is not shown. Major boundaries of the total 75-acre piece includes E. Ann St., N. Fourth Ave., Catherine St., N. Division St., Beakes St., Depot St., the Ann Arbor Railroad line, Felch St., N. Ashley St., Miller Ave. and N. Main St. Prominent in the foreground of the photo is the new Courthouse. First step in the proposed redevelopment program will be the city's application for a $38,000 federal planning loan. With the money it will be determined which structures with the area need to be demolished, which ones moved, what changes may be required in street routes and what other changes are necessary to redevelop the area. Total cost of the project has been estimated at more than $3,500,000.
Clint’s Club at 111 E. Ann Street in Ann Arbor was one of those long narrow buildings that reach way back from the street. As you came into the club, the bar ran along the left side, while on the right was a row of picnic-sized tables at right angles to the door.
Wed, 08/24/2022 - 8:47am
Patricia Ashford Manley was born in 1945 in Ann Arbor, and she was raised by her mother. She remembers attending Jones Elementary School and trying out for cheerleading at Ann Arbor High School. Manley graduated from Western Michigan University in 1970 and later earned her master’s in counseling from Eastern Michigan University. She worked as a teacher, cheerleading coach, and guidance counselor at Huron High School for thirty-one years, and was principal of Thurston Elementary School for ten years. She and her husband Lamont Manley enjoy traveling and going to concerts together. They have been married for 43 years.
Ann Arbor News, July 3, 1958
STILL IN BUSINESS: The D. J. Malloy harness shop was first established at 123 E. Ann St. in the year 1891. The store, last reminder of the city's horse and buggy days, still bears its original shingle - "D. J. Malloy Harness" - suspended over the doorway.
Wed, 09/22/2021 - 10:53am
Sharon Gillespie was born in 1945 and raised by her grandmother in Oklahoma before moving to Ann Arbor with her mother at age nine. She remembers redlining in Ann Arbor and the breakup of the historically Black neighborhood she grew up in. She helped raise two younger sisters while her mother attended ophthalmology school at the University of Michigan. Gillespie excelled in her career as a typesetter at local businesses. After retiring, she has been active in volunteering at homeless shelters and hospice programs. She was married to Raymond Gillespie for 21 years.
Presented in Partnership between the African American Cultural and Historical Museum of Washtenaw County and the Ann Arbor District Library
Ann Arbor News, September 9, 1964
The city is considering buying this building at 209-211 N. Fourth Ave.
Sun, 11/08/2020 - 9:27am
Thekla Mitchell: Thekla White was born in 1921 in Newport, Arkansas, the youngest of nine siblings. At age 22, she traveled to Ann Arbor to visit her sister. After getting a job at Cunningham’s Drug Store, she decided to stay. She worked at the University of Michigan Hospital as a nurses’ aid and laboratory assistant in the Pathology Department for 24 years. Known as “Dimples” to friends and family, Mrs. Mitchell was active in community organizations including the Ann Arbor Civic Club and the Order of the Eastern Stars.
For most of the twentieth century, the 100 block of East Ann Street was a hub for Black-owned businesses in downtown Ann Arbor. A rotating set of barber shops, shoe shine parlors, dry cleaners, restaurants, blues bars, and pool rooms formed the backbone of Black social life, especially for men. The district stretched around the corner onto North Fourth Avenue where the Colored Welfare League housed Black-owned businesses and community organizations such as the early Dunbar Center.