Press enter after choosing selection

Safety Patrol Boys Russell Calvert and Aksi Kikut Depart for Washington, D.C., May 1954

Safety Patrol Boys Russell Calvert and Aksi Kikut Depart for Washington, D.C., May 1954 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, May 7, 1954
Caption
SAFETY PATROL BOYS START TRIP: Russell Calvert (left), 11-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Burgess (Edward) Calvert of 626 N. Fourth Ave., and Aksi Kikut, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur A. Kikut of 2906 South Blvd., bid parents farewell as they leave to join 13 other Michigan Safety Patrol boys in the annual trip to Washington, D.C. sponsored by the Automobile Club. Both sixth graders, the boys are representing Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. Young Kikut, formerly a patrol captain in Ypsilanti, recently moved to Ann Arbor. Calvert is a pupil at Jones School.

Jones School

Jones School was an anchor of Ann Arbor’s historically Black neighborhood (what is now Kerrytown) from the early twentieth century until 1965. Many living Ann Arbor residents remember attending Jones School during the Civil Rights Era. In 1964 the Ann Arbor Board of Education acknowledged that, with over 75% Black students, Jones was a “de facto” segregated school. Jones School closed in 1965, and several years later the building reopened as Community High School.