Press enter after choosing selection

A for effort

A for effort image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected

The Earle Photographer: Larry E. Wright

The Earle image
Published In:
Ann Arbor News, May 15, 1987
Earle Honored - The Germania Hotel, 119-123 W. Washington St. (top)--now known as The Earle--was built in 1883 by Michael Staebler. It contained the largest 'sample rooms' in the state, where traveling salesmen could exhibit their wares. The hotel lobby, a saloon, restaurant and Staebler's coal and implement business were all located on the ground floor. The modified Italianate structure was also home to the Germania Verein, a music club. In 1976, under the supervision of Terry Alexander, of Alexander & Associate Architects, paint was stripped and the storefronts were redone. Later, the upper floors were renovated for office use. The building is now owned by Cooperative Investment Inc. and houses the well-regarded restaurant, The Earle (bottom) [this photo]. In celebration of Preservation Week, which runs through Sunday, the Ann Arbor Historic District Commission has recognized the rehabilitation of The Earle. Pictures of preservation award winners have run in The News during the week. The awards honor preservation of Ann Arbor's architectural heritage through respectful rehabilitation or--better still--excellent long-term maintenance. Awards will be presented at a reception at the Kempf House Center for Local History from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday.