Presented in Partnership between the African American Cultural and Historical Museum of Washtenaw County and the Ann Arbor District Library
Ann Arbor News, November 17, 1949
SCOUT SINGERS FORM SEXTET: These six boys, members of Dunbar Community Center-sponsored Boy Scout Troop 75, have formed themselves into a sextet. They have worked out their own harmonies and have sung at Community Chest luncheons and at the Scout "appreciation dinner" Saturday night in Ypsilanti. In the front row (left to right) are Richard Jackson, 13, of 310 Beakes St. and Hathaway Gulley, 15, of 210 Beakes St. In the rear (left to right) are Duane Calvert, 14, and Dick Sleet, 13, both of 621 N. Fourth Ave., Bernard Patterson, 16, of 712 N. Fourth Ave., and Marvin Baker, 14, of 651 N. Fourth Ave.
Ann Arbor News, October 22, 1943
The "Jive Bombers," a club of Negro youth, meet weekly at Dunbar Community Center for an evening of dancing and other simple social activities. Negroes of all ages and interests enjoy the hospitality and friendly council of this busy Community Center. Ann Arbor residents are asked to contribute to the support of this agency during the Community War Chest drive here from Nov. 1 through Nov. 3.
The Dunbar Center--also known at various times at the Dunbar Civic Center and the Dunbar Community Center--was a social and social services organization for Ann Arbor's Black community in the mid-twentieth century. It was the direct precursor to the Ann Arbor Community Center. Along with the Bethel AME Church and the Second Baptist Church, the Dunbar Center was a major hub of social life for the Black community during this period.
Ann Arbor News, October 3, 1952
Virgil S. Huey President, Board of Directors of Dunbar Community Center
Ann Arbor News, October 25, 1958
Miss Ada B. Hill of 546 Walnut St. teaches a group of small children at the Dunbar Community Center by telling her original stories that have an educational value. Miss Hill has served as a volunteer worker at Dunbar for the past 23 years.