Victoria Suane Milton was born in 1933 and grew up in River Rouge, Michigan. Her mother was of French creole background from New Orleans. In 1938 her father, Samuel B. Milton, founded one of Michigan’s first Black-owned hospitals, Sidney A. Sumby Memorial Hospital. He was also the first Black Wayne County coroner. After getting her BA in social work from the University of Michigan in the 1950s, Victoria returned to work at Sumby Memorial Hospital in purchasing and housekeeping. She and her husband John Loomis had six children, including a set of triplets. She passed away in 2021.
Victoria Loomis was interviewed in partnership with the Museum of African American History of Detroit and Y Arts Detroit in 2009-2010 as part of the Legacies Project.
Ann Arbor News, June 9, 1955
HERE FOR PHOENIX LABORATORY DEDICATION: Prominent in dedication ceremonies this morning for the new $1,500,000 Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on the University's North Campus were (left to right): U-M President Harlan Hatcher; Detroit Edison Co. President Walker L. Cisler, who gave the dedication address; Dean of the U-M Graduate School Ralph A. Sawyer, director of the Phoenix Project; Chester H. Lang, vice-president of General Electric Co. and national chairman of fund-raising for the Phoenix Project; and George W. Romney, president of American Motors Corp. who presented the Mason Memorial Library honoring the late George W. Mason, former president of American Motors, to the laboratory. (Story on page 19.)
Ann Arbor News, April 28, 1956
Dedication Rites Set: Dedication ceremonies are scheduled for 6:30 p.m. today at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (above), 2141 Brockman Blvd. Among the visitors taking part are Clifford E. Young, assistant to the Council of Twelve Apostles, Salt Lake City; George W. Romney, president, Detroit Stake, and Howard J. Stoddard, member of the High Council. The congregation occupied the building in 1954, but it could not be dedicated until it was debt-free. The $110,000 building is of Ohio sandstone exterior. Volunteers labor helped complete the building.
Gov. George Romney Speaks at Dedication of Federal-Mogul Research Lab in Ann Arbor Research Park, February 1963 Photographer: Duane Scheel
Gov. George Romney at Dedication of Federal-Mogul Research Lab in Ann Arbor Research Park, February 1963 Photographer: Duane Scheel
Ann Arbor News, February 27, 1963
Wields Plasma Gun: Gov. George Romney (in booth), wearing helmet, smock coat and heavy gloves as protection, sprays a stream of atomized molten metal on ceremonial medallions with a plasma gun yesterday, dedicating the Federal-Mogul Divisions new research and development laboratory in Research Park. University President Harlan Hatcher also helmeted to protect his eyes from the brilliant glare from the plasma gun, is shown at far left. Romney spoke briefly.