Press enter after choosing selection

Four-ton box containing radioactive cobalt arrives at the U-M Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on North Campus, July 1955

Four-ton box containing radioactive cobalt arrives at the U-M Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on North Campus, July 1955 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, July 11, 1955
Caption
RADIOACTIVE COBALT ARRIVES AT U-M: This four-ton cylindrical lead box contains the first shipment of radioactive cobalt to arrive at the University's Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on North Campus, where research on the peaceful uses of atomic energy will be carried out. Handling the material here is Ardath H. Emmons (left), U-M associate radiological safety officer, and Charles Hopp, operator of the power lift. (Story on page 13.)

Lee A. Feldkamp, graduate student working in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968

Lee A. Feldkamp, graduate student working in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 8, 1968
Caption
Computer Is Handy Lee A. Feldkamp, a graduate student from Ann Arbor, reads out data from computer at the base of the U-M's Ford Nuclear Reactor in research on the structure of Polyethylene. Neutrons from the reactor prove to be better for analysis of structure of light materials than X-rays which have advantages in examining heavy materials. The computer is the kind being used more and more by industry for operating machine tools. Feldkamp is shielded from radiation coming from the reactor core by concrete.

Professor William Kerr, in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968

Professor William Kerr, in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 8, 1968
Caption
Scientists At Work At left, Prof. William Kerry, chairman of the U-M nuclear engineering department and director of the Phoenix (atoms-for-peace) Project, operates neutron scattering equipment at base of the Ford Nuclear Reactor in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on the North Campus. Neutrons, provided by the reactor, scatter in various directions when passing through the target material and may gain or lose energy.

David Rawling works with the Ford Nuclear Reactor in the Phoenix Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968

David Rawling works with the Ford Nuclear Reactor in the Phoenix Laboratory, North Campus, August 1968 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 8, 1968
Caption
Work Goes On In the picture above, David Rawling, nuclear chemist, manipulates mechanical hands inside one of the "caves" near the base of the U-M's Ford Nuclear Reactor to put radioactive material into jar. Protected by the three-foot thick windows of the cave, he is able to handle by remote mechanical means materials which otherwise would be too dangerous to manipulate. The work he is doing involves making up radioactive bromine for General Motors Corp. to use in measuring oild consumption in car motors.

James E. Fairobent and David G. Curtin work in the Phoenix Memorial Building, North Campus, August 1968

James E. Fairobent and David G. Curtin work in the Phoenix Memorial Building, North Campus, August 1968 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 8, 1968
Caption
Work Goes On Meanwhile, in picture at right, James E. Fairobent of Ann Arbor (right) and David G. Curtin of Saginaw, both U-M meteorolgy students, use gamma ray spectrometry in analysis of rain water. The work is being carried out in a laboratory of the U-M Phoenix Memorial Building on North Campus. Researchers from a variety of fields use the Phoenix laboratories and radioactive materials provided by the Ford Nuclear Reactor in carrying out a multitude of diverse research projects.

Professor Adon A. Gordus in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961

Professor Adon A. Gordus in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 27, 1961
Caption
INVESTIGATE HOT ATOMS: Prof. Adon A. Gordus of the chemistry department samples gasses in which radioactive atoms are formed with energies equal to those that would be acquired if they were heated to 1,000,000 degrees. He and his fellow researchers are studying unique chemical reactions that result from the "hot" atoms.

John L. Donivan, U-M research associate, removes port plug from the U-M nuclear reactor at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961

John L. Donivan, U-M research associate, removes port plug from the U-M nuclear reactor at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 27, 1961
Caption
NEW ATOMIC INSTRUMENT: John L. Donivan, U-M research associate, removes the port plug from the U-M nuclear reactor during the initial calibration of a neutron crystal spectrometer under construction at the Phoenix Laboratory. The spectrometer (on right) will be used to provide single-energy neutrons for studies of the physical characteristics of matter.

Dr. John Marshall, U-M research associate, at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961

Dr. John Marshall, U-M research associate, at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 27, 1961
Caption
STUDY RADIATION EFFECT: Dr. John Marshall, U-M research associate, uses a protective glove box to work with daphnia (water fleas) that are absorbing radioisotopes from concentrated solutions in a jar. The daphnia are later fed to fish to study the effect of radiation on an animal population in its environment.

Ford Nuclear Reactor operator Thomas Wiard, at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961

Ford Nuclear Reactor operator Thomas Wiard, at the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory, August 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, September 27, 1961
Caption
OPERATES REACTOR: Reactor operator Thomas Wiard works in the control room for the Ford Nuclear Reactor in the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory on North Campus. The reactor is used as a tool in the U-M's "atoms-for-peace" research projects. Phoenix Project scientists also aid other nations in establishing atomic research programs and reactors. The project has been appointed nuclear energy authority of the International Co-Operation Administration.