Ann Arbor News, December 19, 1949
HOME NURSING TAUGHT AT JONES SCHOOL CENTER: Mrs.Wanda R. Quigg (left) of 2351 Parkwood Ave., Pittsfield Village, nursing arts instructor at the Ann Arbor Practical Nurse Training Center, is shown above conducting a class in the care of the adult ill. Others shown practicing the lesson besides Mrs. Quigg are, left to right, Mrs. Hilda S. Tiala of 1685 Miller Rd., Miss Margaret S. Phillips of South Lyon, and Miss Caroline M. Pool of Willis. A new class in practical nursing care will be started at the center, located at Jones School, in February.
Ann Arbor News, December 19, 1949
HOME NURSING TAUGHT AT JONES SCHOOL CENTER: The care of sick infants is one type of training conducted at the Ann Arbor Practical Nurse Training Center at Jones School. Shown above treating a "baby" are (left to right) Mrs. Margaret A. Donahue of 316 Hiscock St., Mrs. Mary Jacobs of 3184 Saline Rd., Miss Edna Mae Doyle, the training center director, of 2331 Fernwood Ave., Pittsfield Village, and Miss Yvonne N. McIntyre, of 4501 Walpole Ct., Willow Village. A new course for which up to 30 persons may register is scheduled to start in February.
Ann Arbor News, December 15, 1950
FIRST HOME NURSING CLASS FINISHES: The first Red Cross home nursing class to be given under the Washtenaw county civil defense program was completed last night at Jones School. Two more are now in progress in Dexter, and others will be organized throughout the county as rapidly as possible, the Red Cross has announced. Mrs. Oliver Stirling, jr., taught the class. The class, shown (left to right), was composed of Mrs. Guy W. Talmage, Mrs. Reuben Hartman, Mrs. Betty Peer, Mrs. Harry Carver, Mrs. Donald Schmidt, Mrs. Olga Logan, Miss Corrintha C. Salsbury, Mrs. James Fitzpatrick, Mrs. Stirling, Mrs. Richard Hayden and Mrs. Ernest Katz. The figure in the bed is a dummy used for demonstrations in the nursing course.
Wed, 01/15/2020 - 9:40am
Anna Noble was born in the early 1920s and grew up in Pittsburgh with 11 siblings. She worked as a launderer as a young woman. She applied to several nursing schools, but faced discrimination due to segregation. She attended Mercy Douglass School of Nursing in Philadelphia, which was an all-Black nursing school. In 1950, Noble moved to Detroit to take a nursing position at Haynes Memorial Hospital. She became the director of nursing at DMC Harper University Hospital, where she worked for 23 years. Later in life, she volunteered at the Lula Belle Stewart Center, which offered parenting assistance to single mothers.
Anna Noble was interviewed by students from Skyline High School in Ann Arbor in 2010 as part of the Legacies Project
Ads for the Beyer Center Feature Volunteers Dorothy Wilson and Joyce Mallory, February 1999 Photographer: Robert Chase
Dorothy Wilson and Joyce Mallory Pose in Front of Ads for the Beyer Center, February 1999 Photographer: Robert Chase
Volunteers Dorothy Wilson and Joyce Mallory Admire Ads for the Beyer Center, February 1999 Photographer: Robert Chase
Volunteer Dorothy Wilson Poses Outside Oakwood Hospital Beyer Center, July 1996 Photographer: Stephanie Grace Lim
Ann Arbor News, July 15, 1996
Dorothy Wilson comes to Oakwood Hospital Beyer Center five days a week, sometimes putting in long days to coordinate patient services.
Volunteer Dorothy Wilson Sits Outside Oakwood Hospital Beyer Center, July 1996 Photographer: Stephanie Grace Lim
Sun, 07/21/2019 - 3:27pm
Henrietta Edwards was born in 1919 and grew up in Muskogee, Oklahoma before moving to Ann Arbor in 1941. She and her husband worked at the Willow Run Bomber Plant during World War II, and owned two filling stations—one downtown at N Fourth Avenue and E Ann Street, and one on Highway 23. She celebrated her hundredth birthday with family, friends, and former coworkers and patients from St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, where she worked as a pediatric nurse for 32 years.