Ann Arbor News, July 17, 1957
New Commission Meets: Members of the new City Human Relations Commission are shown into office last night by City Clerk Fred J. Looker. In front (left to right) are Mrs. Arthur J. Carr, Mrs. Gerald Davenport, Councilman Richard Dennard and the Rev. Henry Lewis. In back (left to right) are George E. Wedemeyer, Richard J. Mann, State Rep. George W. Sallade and Dr. Albert H. Wheeler. Members James A. Lewis and Dr. Herman Jacobs could not be present last night.
Sun, 11/08/2020 - 5:03pm
William Hampton was born in 1948 in Tyler, Texas, and his grandmother was the midwife. He remembers attending church revival picnics, the Texas Rose Festival, and the Juneteenth parade in his hometown. While attending college in Arlington, Texas, he was active in the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. He went on to launch a Section 8 subsidized housing program in Arlington and in Ann Arbor, where he worked in the community development office. Mr. Hampton has been president of the Ann Arbor chapter of the NAACP since 2005.
Albert H. Wheeler Toasts Campaign Supporters At The Ann Arbor Inn After Winning The Mayoral Election By One Vote, April 1977
Ann Arbor News, April 5, 1977
Wheeler Toasts Supporters
Jones School was an anchor of Ann Arbor’s historically Black neighborhood (what is now Kerrytown) from the early twentieth century until 1965. Many living Ann Arbor residents remember attending Jones School during the Civil Rights Era. In 1964 the Ann Arbor Board of Education acknowledged that, with over 75% Black students, Jones was a “de facto” segregated school. Jones School closed in 1965, and several years later the building reopened as Community High School.