Ann Arbor News, June 16, 1947
THREE CHILDREN HURT IN PARKED CAR: Kenneth, 3, and Herbert, 5 - sons of Dunbar Center director Douglas Williams - and Jackie Taylor, 7, of 114 E. Kingsley St., suffered minor cuts and bruises when the above car, in which they were sitting, was knocked through the plate-glass window of Sadie's Beauty Shop by another machine that went out of control in the 200 block of N. Fourth Ave. this morning. The other automobile, being driven the wrong way down the one-way street by Jack A. Predovich, 26, a disabled war veteran, hit two other vehicles and burst into flames after knocking down a gasoline pump at the Abbott Gasoline station, N. Fourth and Ann. The driver was only slightly injured.
The Dunbar Center--also known at various times at the Dunbar Civic Center and the Dunbar Community Center--was a social and social services organization for Ann Arbor's Black community in the mid-twentieth century. It was the direct precursor to the Ann Arbor Community Center. Along with the Bethel AME Church and the Second Baptist Church, the Dunbar Center was a major hub of social life for the Black community during this period.
Ann Arbor News, March 24, 1947
Captured Fugitive Returned To Jail: Douglas Williams, nabbed Saturday afternoon by Ann Arbor Patrolman, Howard R. Remnant (left) five and half hours after the Ypsilanti Negro made a spectacular break for freedom from the courthouse where he was on trial, is turned over to Lt. Erwin Klager, of the Washtenaw sheriff's detective bureau, from whom he had escaped. Remnant found Williams hiding in the basement of a N. Fourth Ave upholstery shop after the courthouse area had been surrounded and combed in one of the most intensive manhunts ever staged in Ann Arbor. Williams' trial as a fourth offender under the Habitual Criminal Act was scheduled for resumption today. He faces a life sentence if convicted.