Press enter after choosing selection

Copeland School Being Demolished - Dexter, March 1961

Copeland School Being Demolished - Dexter, March 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, March 23, 1961
Caption
GONE GHOSTS: The pleasant ghosts of a multitude of Dexter men and women who trod its hallowed halls have been evicted from the shell of the town's Copeland School, built in 1887 and scheduled to be completely torn down by the end of next month. The two bells from the familiar tower (above) that has dominated Dexter for nearly 75 years will be removed to a special "Copeland School Memorial" structure to be erected on the front lawn of the new Dexter High School. They rang from their venerable perch high above the village for the last time Tuesday, signaling the official completion of more than three-quarters of the demolition operation. The old school's hill site will be planted in grass, and its ghosts will retire to the last refuge of its photographs in hundreds of local scrapbooks. The abandoned building had been declared a safety hazard because of structural weaknesses that developed over the years.

Gone Ghosts

Gone Ghosts image
Parent Issue
Day
23
Month
March
Year
1961
Related
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Former Site Of Copeland School - Dexter, August 1961

Former Site Of Copeland School - Dexter, August 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, August 10, 1961
Caption
SIDEWALK TO THE PAST: A sidewalk that disappears into the ground and a 75-year-old chimney are all that's left to remind hundreds of Dexter residents of their Alma Mater. Shrubbing and grassing are nearly complete where the town's proudest structure, the six-room Copeland High School, stood at this time last year. A memorial structure to the 1887 school, which was razed because of dangerous structural defects, is planned for the front of the new elementary school.

Belmore Inn Being Razed By University

Belmore Inn Being Razed By University image
Parent Issue
Day
7
Month
November
Year
1950
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Demolition of Willow Village Temporary Housing Units, January 1967

Demolition of Willow Village Temporary Housing Units, January 1967 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, January 9, 1957
Caption
'BOMBER CITY' FADES: Razing of temporary housing units which make up Willow Village, the "Bomber City" of World War II, is continuing with 72 buildings containing more than 400 apartments already leveled. Only two-thirds of the 3,068 apartment units which provided wartime emergency housing remain occupied and standing. The entire temporary development must be eliminated by July 1, 1958, according to state law. Meanwhile, plans continue for building some 5,000 privately owned homes on the Village property.