Press enter after choosing selection

Construction of Church of the Good Shepherd on Independence Blvd, April 1958

Construction of Church of the Good Shepherd on Independence Blvd, April 1958 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 11, 1958
Caption
Construction Progress: The first unit of the long-range building program of the Church of the Good Shepherd (Evangelical and Reformed) takes shape at the building site on Independence Blvd. June has been set at target date for completion and dedication of the unit, which will serve as worship and fellowship center until other units are built and then will become a fellowship hall. Designer is local architect Robert C. Metcalf.

Church of the Good Shepherd Children Make Landscape Model, December 1972

Church of the Good Shepherd Children Make Landscape Model, December 1972 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, December 9, 1972
Caption
Learning About Landscape Julie Hill (left), Alison Mays, Jeanine Steinaway, Karen Linderman and David Scott add the finishing touches to the Ecology Landscape that the children from the Church of the Good Shepherd have worked on for the last four weeks. From the project, which was constructed during activity time on Sunday, the children learned how cities are built and how the locations are chosen. In an explanation of their project they said, "We have learned that water comes from the mountains and hills and how it flows into streams and lakes. The railroads are flat because it costs more to go over the mountains or to go around or to tunnel." The project was led by Judy Jahnke, Bonnie Clemens, Bill Browning and David Ostendorf. Other children working on the project were Jean, Lois and Bruce Browning, Peter and Kristie Clemens, Linda Scott, Mary Bacon, Kathy Linderman, Kristy Hill, Evelyn Morris, Rob Newhaus, Scott and Shelly Reed, John and Michael Wranesh, Sharon and Brad Hastings and Debbie and Rusty Jahnke.

Church of the Good Shepherd Choir Members Making Palm Trees, April 1973

Church of the Good Shepherd Choir Members Making Palm Trees, April 1973 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 14, 1973
Caption
Observing Palm Sunday Palm Sunday observances, which traditionally mark the feast before Easter, will take many forms in area Christian churches tomorrow. At Church of the Good Shepherd, choir members like Caren Clarke and Chris Neuhaus, above, have been working on a palm tree of cardboard, tape and paper. Members of the church will build a rough road from paper to wind throughout the sanctuary, helmets and shields for for the apprehensive soldiers and headdresses for the angry Pharisees greeting Jesus as he enters Jerusalem on a "donkey's" back. Palm fronds will be cast at the feet of the "donkey" to ease the pain caused by the jagged cobblestone road. A list of Easter season services planned in the area appears on page 7.

Volunteer Opportunities Booklet Compiled by Women at Church of the Good Shepherd, March 1967

Volunteer Opportunities Booklet Compiled by Women at Church of the Good Shepherd, March 1967 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, March 10, 1967
Caption
'Would You Like To Help?' Distributed this week were some 6,500 copies of a directory of volunteer opportunities compiled by women members of the Church of the Good Shepherd. Examining the booklets are (left to right) Mrs. K. Robert Morris, booklet committee head; Mrs. C. W. Carpenter, representing the Washtenaw County Hospital Auxiliary and Mrs. Thomas J. Powell, member of the Faculty Women's Newcomers group and St. Francis Altar Society. The directory lists the needs of 70 community organizations.

Peter Goodman and Karen Steinaway with Japanese prints at Church of the Good Shepherd, February 1965

Peter Goodman and Karen Steinaway with Japanese prints at Church of the Good Shepherd, February 1965 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, February 26, 1965
Caption
Viewing Prints Peter Goodman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick L. Goodman of 2231 Manchester Rd., and Karen Steinaway, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Veryl Steinaway of 2635 Kimberly Rd., view prints by Japanese artist Sadao Watanabe on display for the next two weeks at the Church of the Good Shepherd, United Church of Christ, 2145 Independence Blvd.

Rev. Jesse Jackson Meets With Local Ministers For Breakfast At The Michigan Union, March 23, 1987

Rev. Jesse Jackson Meets With Local Ministers For Breakfast At The Michigan Union, March 23, 1987 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, March 23, 1987
Caption
Jackson (center) attends a breakfast meeting this morning at the Michigan Union with a group of ministers from the Ann Arbor area.

Mrs. Burt Lutz Volunteers at Washtenaw County Hospital, June 1961

Mrs. Burt Lutz Volunteers at Washtenaw County Hospital, June 1961 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, December 29, 1962
Caption
Volunteer At Work: Mrs. Burt Lutz of 1405 Iroquois Pl. pushes Mrs. Josephine Williams' wheelchair down a corridor at Washtenaw County Hospital. Mrs. Lutz was the first chairman of a group of women from the Church of the Good Shepherd who do volunteer work at the hospital. Mrs. Williams left the hospital this Wednesday.