Sun, 11/08/2020 - 9:25am
Harold Simons was born in 1946 and he grew up in Ann Arbor. He was inspired by Jones School teacher Harry Mial to become a teacher and coach. A standout basketball player for Ann Arbor High, he went on to play at Eastern Michigan University. He was the freshman basketball coach there before becoming head coach at Huron High for 20 years. Mr. Simons reflects on race relations and generational differences in Ann Arbor. He and his wife Ethel have been married for 53 years.
Sun, 07/21/2019 - 3:33pm
Audrey Monagan was born in Ann Arbor in 1941, and grew up in a close-knit, predominantly black neighborhood on North Fifth Ave. She remembers attending Bethel AME Church with her grandparents, spending time at the Dunbar Community Center, and helping raise her younger siblings. She attended Jones School and Pioneer High School before working for General Motors, where she was an inspector for eighteen years. Mrs. Monagan has been married to her second husband, Philip, for 48 years.
Ann Arbor News, February 8, 1966
For Needy Children The Rev. John A. Woods, pastor of Bethel AME Church, is one of many men who are lending a helping hand to the new Bethel Toy Club, headed by Mrs. Boots Anthony (left). Women of the church have formed the club to supply toys to needy children at Christmas. They are beginning their project making Humpty Dumpty dolls.
Ann Arbor News, June 22, 1974
Simplicity Stressed The architectural feature of the new sanctuary of Bethel AME Church, 900 Plum St., is its simplicity, says the Rev. John A. Woods, pastor. An open house for the new $125,000 structure will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday. The church has been meeting in its educational building, which was completed in January of 1972. Until that time, Bethel AME (African Methodist Episcopal) had been meeting in a building at 632 N. Fourth Ave. The congregation was first organized in 1855. O'Neal Construction Co. of Ann Arbor build the sanctuary. Architects were Cuthbert and Cuthbert of Dearborn.
Ann Arbor News, December 16, 1972
Church Dedication Church steward Richard D. Blake, the Rev. John A. Woods, pastor, and Elizabeth Hill, a trustee, gather in front of the newly built Bethel A.M.E. Church at 900 Plum St. The cornerstone for the new church, which had been located at 632 N. Fourth Ave. since 1891, will be laid at 1:30 p.m. Sunday with appropriate ceremonies.
Mon, 07/23/2018 - 3:38pm
Larry Hunter was born in 1951 and has lived in both Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. He’s worked in public service for years, served on Ann Arbor City Council, and earned a Juris Doctor degree in law in 2000. Larry recalls how he became politically active as a young man, organizing walkouts at his high school as a leader in the Black Student Union, as well as his involvement with the Black Panthers.
Ann Arbor News, February 15, 1977
Recipients of awards from the Washtenaw County Section of the National Council of Negro Women, Inc., Sunday, included (from the left): Mrs. Mary Taylor, Garther Roberson, Mrs. Josie Taylor, the Rev. John A. Woods and Mrs. Viola Carter.