Press enter after choosing selection

Mother And Son Have Polio

Mother And Son Have Polio image
Parent Issue
Day
26
Month
December
Year
1953
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Steven Goslee Holds Lighted Lamp, Symbol of the Mothers March on Polio, January 1953

Steven Goslee Holds Lighted Lamp, Symbol of the Mothers March on Polio, January 1953 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, January 28, 1953
Caption
Prepare For Mothers March: Steven Goslee, six-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. John J. Goslee of East Ann Arbor, holds aloft the lighted lamp -- symbol of the "Mothers March on Polio" slated Thursday night -- as chairman of the march for various areas of the county look on. Steven was a victim of polio last summer and still wears braces and uses crutches. Pictured are (first row, left to right) Mrs. William M. Flanders, East Ann Arbor; Mrs. Lee G. Begole, Dixboro; Mrs. William W. Steinberger, Willow Village; Mrs. Earl Schanz, Dexter; Mrs. George C. Hoppert, Ypsilanti; (second row) Mrs. Robert Button, Milan; Mrs. James A. Nichols, Ann Arbor; (third row) Mrs. Homer Cleary, Pittsfield Village; Mrs. Harold Carter, Dexter; Mrs. George Feack, Manchester; Mrs. Delores Bennett, Ypsilanti; Mrs. Waldemar J. Grossman, Chelsea; (fourth row) Mrs. Edwin J. Sutter, Chelsea; and Mrs. Norman Elfring, Saline.

Kids Put On Circus To Raise Money For Polio Fund, August 1953

Kids Put On Circus To Raise Money For Polio Fund, August 1953 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, August 11, 1953
Caption
Early Start For Polio Fund: Mrs. James A. Nichols, Ann Arbor chairman of the 1954 March of Dimes, watches Robert Kirk, 2115 Alice St., put his dog, Tippy, through one of the acts of a circus that neighborhood children staged to aid the polio fund. A circuit and a carnival were held by two groups in the new Northwest elementary school area and $5.74 was turned over to the polio fund. Among others who took part were Gordon Jones (left), 1806 Linwood Ave., and Mary Kay Hamilton, 306 Westwood Ave.

Kay Dohm and and Mrs. James A. Nichols with first shipment of Salk polio vaccine for Washtenaw county first and second graders, April 1955

Kay Dohm and and Mrs. James A. Nichols with first shipment of Salk polio vaccine for Washtenaw county first and second graders, April 1955 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 19, 1954
Caption
IT'S HERE: The Salk polio vaccine for Washtenaw county's first and second graders arrived here yesterday in the arms of Miss Kay Dohm (left), of the County Health Department, and Mrs. James A. Nichols, volunteer worker for the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. The pair brought the vaccine here from Lansing. These six boxes and another half-box contain enough vaccine to inoculate some 6,000 children. Although 7,000 Washtenaw county first and second graders are eligible for the vaccine, an estimated 10 per cent of parents, for various reasons, will not give consent for their children to be inoculated.

It's Here

It's Here image
Parent Issue
Day
19
Month
April
Year
1955
Copyright
Copyright Protected