Press enter after choosing selection

Community High School, 1985

Community High School, 1985 image

Park at Community High School, 1974

Park at Community High School, 1974 image

Community High School

Community High School (CHS) is an alternative public high school serving grades 9-12 located at 401 North Division Street in Ann Arbor's historic Kerrytown District. It was one of the first magnet schools to arise from a nation-wide wave of experimental schools that drew on the social movements of the late 1960s and early 1970s, and was specifically influenced by social and political activism in Ann Arbor at the time.

Jones School

Jones School was an anchor of Ann Arbor’s historically Black neighborhood (what is now Kerrytown) from the early twentieth century until 1965. Many living Ann Arbor residents remember attending Jones School during the Civil Rights Era. In 1964 the Ann Arbor Board of Education acknowledged that, with over 75% Black students, Jones was a “de facto” segregated school. Jones School closed in 1965, and several years later the building reopened as Community High School.

Headstart Participants Decorate Christmas Tree at Jones School, December 1966

Headstart Participants Decorate Christmas Tree at Jones School, December 1966 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, December 12, 1966
Caption
Children, Tutors Have Party: Four children who participated in this fall's Headstart Follow Through Program help one of the tutors, Roger Spencer (right), decorate the tree at their Christmas party at Jones School. Helping trim the tree with ornaments of their own making are, left to right, Damon Guster, Steven Tweedy and Phyllis Lightfoot. The children and Spencer, who is a University student and a member of the Psychology Department's outreach program, were among 150 youngsters and tutors at the party which featured gifts and refreshments donated by various Ann Arbor merchants.

Voting Booths Open for Ann Arbor School Election at Jones School, June 1964

Voting Booths Open for Ann Arbor School Election at Jones School, June 1964 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 8, 1964
Caption
ELECTION LULL: Poll workers at Jones School watched over the deserted voting booths at 8:30 a.m. today after about 21 residents of Precinct 1 cast their ballots in the Ann Arbor school election during the early hours of the morning. The voting started at 7 a.m. as fog and high humidity wrapped the city. The polls will close at 8 p.m.

Recreation Department Leads Program for Seniors at Jones School Drop-In Center, November 1970

Recreation Department Leads Program for Seniors at Jones School Drop-In Center, November 1970 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, November 22, 1970
Caption
Games at Drop-In Center: Participating in games at the Jones Drop-In Center are (left to right) Mrs. Mae Markham, Mrs. Ethel Carrington, Mrs. Ellen Parminter, program organizer; Miss Mary McConnell, also an organizer; and Mrs. Jesse Humphrey.

Jones School Student Marion Martin Prepares for Red Cross Poster Contest, March 1944

Jones School Student Marion Martin Prepares for Red Cross Poster Contest, March 1944 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, March 6, 1944
Caption
Even during periods of war and disaster the Red Cross does not forget the safety of civilians in their homes, or on the farm, and on March 11 and 12 the organization will sponsor an exhibition of safety posters made by students of Ann Arbor schools. Marion Martin, a 9A student at Jones school, is pictured above, working on her entry for the contest, emphasizing safety in the home. Marion is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Martin of 707 Moore St.