Press enter after choosing selection

Officials sign three-way agreement turning Willow Run airport over to the University of Michigan, June 1946

Officials sign three-way agreement turning Willow Run airport over to the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
OFFICIALS SIGN WILLOW RUN AGREEMENT: Officials of the government, the University of Michigan and the Capital Airlines--PCA were present when the three-way agreement was signed today turning the huge airport at Willow Run over to the University. Seated left to right are Elton A. Burke, acting department director of real property disposal, War Assets Administration; University President Alexander G. Ruthven, and Vice-President Robert P. Briggs. Standing, Robert J. Wilson, airlines vice-president and counsel, and Robert M. Averill, western regional vide-president of the airlines. (Other pictures are on page 18.)

Willow Run Plant Leased to Kaiser-Frazer Corp, looking east, February 1946

Willow Run Plant Leased to Kaiser-Frazer Corp, looking east, February 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, February 27, 1946
Caption
WILLOW RUN FROM THE AIR: The sprawling giant of American war plants, Willow Run now seems by comparison a quiet, empty place, as more than 1,000 workers prepare her for her peacetime role of automobile production. In this, one of the first aerial shots of the plant to be printed, Willow Run's hugeness is made graphic. In the background is the airfield where completed B-24s took off on their first step to battle. The picture was taken at an altitude of 800 feets, with the camera pointing east.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
DOUBLE HANGAR: Pictured above is a double hangar, one of three which the University has obtained with procurement of Willow Run airport for an expanded program in aeronautical engineering. The hangar is on the southwest corner of the airport.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
ON SOUTH END: The hangar pictured above, a rear view, is located on the south end of Willow Run airfield. Built adjacent to the huge Ford bomber plant, which now houses the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation and Graham-Paige Motors, the airport contains six major runways besides the three hangars. The airport is located on an express highway, 30 miles west of Detroit, and has been idle since the war.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
ARMY INSTALLATION: Part of the Army installation on the east side of Willow Run airfield is shown in the above picture. The War Assets Administration's license to the University provides for the transfer of the Army camp as well as the airport.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
HUGE APRON: Largest of the three hangars at Willow Run airport is shown above with a partial view of the huge concrete apron which extends over the west part of the field. The hangar was used for conversion of bombers for special uses.