Jones School was an anchor of Ann Arbor’s historically Black neighborhood (what is now Kerrytown) from the early twentieth century until 1965. Many living Ann Arbor residents remember attending Jones School during the Civil Rights Era. In 1964 the Ann Arbor Board of Education acknowledged that, with over 75% Black students, Jones was a “de facto” segregated school. Jones School closed in 1965, and several years later the building reopened as Community High School.
Ann Arbor News, August 7, 1945
PARTY FOR MEN ON FURLOUGH: About 40 guests, most of whom are either liberated prisoners of war or on 30-day leaves before pushing on to the Pacific, were entertained Saturday night at the home of Mrs. John Hedlesky, 703 Moore St., the party being in the nature of a "Hello", "Goodbye", and a "Happy birthday to Pfc. Michael Hedlesky." Pictured, left to right, are Mrs. Hedlesky, the hostess, Pvt. Robert Nichols, Mrs. Lena Parsons and her husband, T/Sgt. Orval Parsons holding their son Jimmie; Pvt. Orrie Dean and Miss Toni Hedlesky an ex-Wave; Cpt. Frank Smolnikar, Marine, on convalescent leave from Great Lakes hospital after 40 months overseas; Pfc. Michael Hedlesky on his 20th birthday; Miss Marjorie Crippen, Cpt. Joe Rodriguez, Mrs. Dee Rodriguez, Sgt. John Smith, Miss Frances Alexander, T/Sgt. Warren Ross, and Mrs. Catheine Carnes.
Ann Arbor News, May 3, 1961
Crammed With Cakes: Jones School Principal Robert Nichols (seated) had his office filled with cakes and pies yesterday prior to the annual cake-walk held last night. Presenting their principal with some baked goods are Joe C. Brown (left) and Beverly Bird.