Press enter after choosing selection

Willow Village Purchase Sought By Township

Willow Village Purchase Sought By Township image
Parent Issue
Day
28
Month
October
Year
1953
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Ypsilanti Township Buys Willow Village, October 1954

Ypsilanti Township Buys Willow Village, October 1954 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, October 29, 1954
Caption
TOWNSHIP BUYS 'BOMBER CITY': Ypsilanti township Supr. Henry F. Hicks (left), Township Clerk Donald E. Ehle (center) and Hugo C. Schwartz of the Public Housing Administration's Chicago field office sign deeds and mortgages at the Township Hall this morning conveying the land and dwellings of Willow Village to the township. The Village, controversial "Bomber City" of nationwide interest during World War II, includes 3,003 housing units.

David A. Blake Jr (1918-2000)

David Blake
David Blake, 1949

Site For Veterans' Housing Units

Site For Veterans' Housing Units image
Parent Issue
Day
3
Month
October
Year
1945
Copyright
Copyright Protected

Willow Run Trailer Court, February 1943

Willow Run Trailer Court, February 1943 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, February 6, 1943
Caption
WILLOW RUN WAR APARTMENTS: Soon to be ready for occupancy by war workers are these portable "houses." They are the first of 480 "war apartments" that are being set up for operation by the Federal Public Housing Authority just north of the giant Ford bomber plant at Willow Run. The "war apartments" are also known as expansible trailers or expandible houses and are a new type of dwelling unit. Each one of the expansible houses will accommodate two two-person families, and 960 families will thus be housed in the settlement. The dwellings are laid out along streets which will be blacktopped, and sewer and lighting connections are provided by the FPHA. The grounds are to be landscaped, and each"house" will have siding at its base to conceal the 12 wooden posts on which it rests. The community will also be provided with eight buildings in which the wives can do their laundry. The expansible trailers are made by the Palace Travel Coach Corp. of Flint.

Interior of Trailer, Willow Run Trailer Court, February 1943

Interior of Trailer, Willow Run Trailer Court, February 1943 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, February 6, 1943
Caption
THE COMFORTS OF HOME: This is an interior view of a partly furnished "expansible house" which is one of 480 which are being set up just north of Willow Run for the use of workers at the Ford bomber plant. This dwelling unit consists of one-half of an "expansible house" and it has been expanded. The day bed comes with the "house," and the rest of the furniture is provided by the Federal Public Housing Authority. Built into the inner wall of these units is a bathroom (at left of daybed), which contains, in addition to a shower, a 30-gallon hot water heater fired by fuel oil. Visible is the three-burner, oven-type cook stove, which is fueled by (unreadable). In the left foreground is the heating unit, a fuel oil space heater. Also built in are a (unreadable) shelves and a small wardrobe closet. All a family needs to occupy this unit are cooking (unreadable) tableware, and bedding. The FPHA has not announced what the rental of these units will be, but it is expected to be $30 a month or lower.