Press enter after choosing selection

County Board of Supervisors on Ann Arbor Courthouse Steps, 1939

County Board of Supervisors on Ann Arbor Courthouse Steps, 1939 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, October 28, 1973
Caption
From Our Pictorial Archives: Ann Arbor 1939 You've heard about the days when the township supervisors ran county government, with each township represented on the Board of Supervisors. That's the way it was in October 1939 when this picture was taken on the courthouse steps in downtown Ann Arbor. Somebody said, "so what's new?" but if townships are in control today, they are urbanized and not rural townships. At least two front row supervisors are holding cigars and, as any reporter on the county beat in those days will tell you, county business was conducted in smoke-filled rooms. County government was clean, although perhaps not as finely tuned in to the needs and wishes of constituents as today. Members of the board, left to right, were: Front row - John S. Miller, Fred G. Broesamle, Albert C. Stein (above), Donald Comstock (below), Mrs. George Alber, Herman Oelke (below), Mrs. Carruth Cook (she took the minutes), Carl Mast, G. E. Townsend, Fitch Forsythe (above), James Galbraith (below) and Herbert L. Kennett (above). Second row - Fred Blumhart, Freeman Weber, Edward Foster, Herbert P. Wager, Bernard MacIlhargy, Fred Williams, Lloyd Lyke and Gilbert Madden. Third row - Samuel Morgan, Edwin Schaible, William Manchester, Emory Mullholland, Albert Rider, Charles Waltz and Homer Stofer. Top row - George Gaudy, Carl W. Carr, Albert Trinkle, Harry S. Cole, Lewis C. Rhoades, Leigh Beach and John Cosner. Retired County Clerk Louella M. Smith helped complete the identifications.

U-M Alumni: Herbert Wagner Quartet, June 1937

U-M Alumni: Herbert Wagner Quartet, June 1937 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 18, 1937
Caption
THAT CLOSE HARMONY IS BACK AGAIN: Reunited for the first time in the 13 years since they left college, members of a once highly popular quartet are shown tuning up for their appearance last night at the all-class dinner, attended by hundreds of returning Michigan alumni. Left to right are Herbert P. Wagner, chief accountant of the University, who graduated in 1921; C. Nils Tavares, '25I., Honolulu attorney; Max A. Schaffer, '23E. of Cumberland, Md. and K. Y. Tang, '24E. a member of the faculty of Ohio State university. The four sang together at campus functions for about a year and a half, and when Schaffer graduated, the other three carried on for a while without him.

Committee Stands Behind Success of University's 100th Celebration, June 1937

Committee Stands Behind Success of University's 100th Celebration, June 1937 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 15, 1937
Caption
Stand Behind Success of University Celebration: Members of the central committee for the current program observing the University's 100th anniversary in Ann Arbor are shown above. Left to right they are Prof. Philip E. Bursley, housing; Wilfred B. Shaw, alumni relations; Prof. Daniel L. Rich, arrangements; Dr. Carl E. Guthe, exhibits; Emory J. Hyde, decorations; Arthur W. Stace, Community dinner; Prof. Carl G. Brandt, director; Mrs. Lee E. Yeager, secretary; Herbert P. Wagner, transportation; T. Hawley Tapping, publicity, and Prof. Herbert A. Kenyon, entertainment. Sub-committees numbered more than 50 persons.