March 19, 1981
Ypsilanti's great history began in 1809 when three French explorers—Gabriel Godfroy, Romaine LaChambre and Francois Pepin—established a trading post on the west bank of the Huron River, 100 yards north of the Old Sauk Trail (Michigan Avenue).
Their enterprise in laying out 2632 acres in 1811 for 4 French Claims is a splendid example to all generations to come.
The efforts of the Ypsilanti Historical Society, organized in 1960, have made us all aware of Ypsilanti's remarkable Heritage. Ypsilanti citizens as well as former residents of our area have become interested in the city's history and learning where their families fitted into scenes of the past.
Ypsilanti now has a fine Historical Museum at 222 N. Huron Street, expertly staffed by volunteers, which is visited every year by more and more people. The Society has a membership of more than 375 and publishes a quarterly known as “Gleanings”.
If our Historical Museum is to continue to grow, we need continued financial support and additional family records, photos, diaries, letters and memorabilia.
George D. Goodman