Press enter after choosing selection

History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III)

History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti (Part III) image
Author
Elizabeth Teabolt
Rights Held By
Ypsilanti Historical Society
OCR Text

Elizabeth Teaboldt was born June 25, 1878, in Bridge-water Township, the daughter of George and Ella King Rawson. She taught in the Clinton and Ypsilanti schools for many years. This “History of the Naming of the Streets of Ypsilanti” was placed in the Archives by Mrs. Teaboldt in September, 1947 as a permanent part of the history of our City.

Elizabeth Teaboldt lived a long life passing away at Ann Arbor on August 25, 1972.

We conclude this fine piece of work in this issue and note the original is in the Archives of the Ypsilanti Historical Society, City of Ypsilanti, MI.

This Master's Thesis was published in Ypsilanti Gleanings in three parts. Part I appears in the issue of December 1980 and Part II in the issue of February 1981. Morse's Addition Part II
This plat is in the southern end of the Morse Addition Part I.

New street names:
Division

This street is not in this plat but in the Bartholomew plat which adjoined it. The surveyed opening across the plat appeared in the Bartholomew plat but was unnamed. Here it appears as Division Street. It divided the plat into two nearly equal parts.

The R. W. Hemphill Addition, Part I

This adjoined the previously mentioned Hawkin's Addition on the southeast.

New street names:
Hawkins

This street is named after the Hawkins family mentioned in connection with another plat. The Hawkin's House was continued a long time under the management of Abiel Hawkins and Walter, his son.

Post's Addition

This plat was bounded on the north by Cross, on the east by Brower, on the southwest by Ann Arbor Road.

New street names:
Brower

Brower Street was named for Richard D. Brower who owned land near to the present location of the Normal. Frequent mention was made in City Council proceedings earlier of “extending streets across the Brower property” so the date of the first mention of Brower is probably much earlier than the date of this plat.

Scovill and Tuttle Subdivision

It was bounded by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad on the northeast, Huron Street on the east, extended south of Jarvis Street on the south, and to Lowell Street on the west.

New streets names:
Jarvis
Jenness

Jarvis is a short street, running from Lowell on the west to Huron on the east, parallel to and south of St. John St. It is named after the Jarvis family, mentioned in connection with the Jarvis addition.

Jenness Street is named after the Jenness family, which like many another family came early and became prominent. An early ancestor was John Sedgwick Jenness, born in 1811, one of the first grocery and crockery dealers in Ypsilanti.

The Park Ridge Subdivision

It lies in the extreme southern part of the city next to the corporation line, and extends from the corporation line on the west to South Huron on the southeast. It consists of four parallel streets running from southwest to northeast.

New street names:
Watling Boulevard
Jefferson Avenue
Madison Boulevard
Monroe Avenue
Third
Second
First

Watling Boulevard is the most southerly. It is named for William Watling who owned property nearby, beyond the city.

Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, are without doubt, named for presidents as were Washington, Madison, and Jefferson before, although I have no proof to this effect.

First, Second and Third Streets cut across the long street at right angles and appear in that order, starting westward from an extension of Hawkins which appears to the east. Hamilton has a two block extension into Park Ridge east of Hawkins, in this plat also.

Volkening and Company's Subdivision

It is bounded on the north by Davis Avenue, on the east by Emerick Street, on the south by land probably unplatted at that time, on the west by Prospect Avenue.

New street names:
Maus Avenue
Davis Avenue
Emerick

Maus Avenue was named for Lewis J. Maus. Ellen Volkening sold to Lewis J. Maus “lots 49, 50, and 51, and other lands” all in the Volkening Subdivision. Lewis J. Maus and Mary M., his wife, then sold off the lots. The abstract of Mrs. Delvya Vealey, living on Maus, shows Mr. Maus as a previous owner of the lot. Mr. Artis Vealey, a retired carpenter, once bought three lots of him. Taxes are recorded as having been paid by Mr. Meus in 1899, 1900 and 1905. Reports are that he lived in or around Detroit, and undertook this project as a business venture.

Davis Avenue was named for Dr. Parmenio Davis, for whom the Davis Subdivision was named also and who was mentioned in connection with it.

Emerick Street lying at the east of this plat and east of two other plats also is named for the family of the same name who came to Michigan in 1832 and settled in Ypsilanti Township. the street is probably named in particular for Benjamin Emerick, one of the sons who came with the father Jacob. (History of Washtenaw County 1881). The Gault Dairy is part of the Emerick farms (Miss Woodard).

Normal Park Addition

This plat was bounded on the north by Cross, on the east by Westlawn and Elm Gardens Additions, on the south by Congress and South Congress and on the west by Orchard Park and Willow Grove Additions.

New street names:
Grant
Sherman
Sheridan
Elm
Oakwood Avenue
North Congress
South Congress
Sheridan Court
Hiawatha
A surveyed but unnamed boulevard

The land was owned by Captain James N. Wallace, who platted it at this time and built a number of houses. He was a captain in the Civil War, and the story is that he named Sheridan, Sherman and Grant after Civil War Army officers. Congress Street at the west end of the city was divided into North and South Congress.

Elm and Oakwood are said to be named for trees. Certainly these trees were common in this area. The boulevard in the west side was named Wallace after the proprietor, but I have been unable to find the date.

Sheridan Court appears today on the city map as the first street south of Cross, extending less than a block eastward from Wallace. It is in alignment with Sheridan Street to the east but no street has been cut through.

Hiawatha is not much more than an alley extending south from west Cross to Sherman in the 1000 block of West Cross. I do not know who named it, but assume it was for the Indian character by that name.

College Place Addition

It was bounded on the north by Ellis, on the east by Perrin, on the south by Stuck's Addition and on the west by the Cross and Bagley Addition.

No new street appears on the plat but Brower Street south of Ellis became College Place, after the name of the plat.

Gray's Subdivision

It was bounded on the north by Forest Avenue, on the east by Holmes Street, on the south by Oak Street and on the west by Charles Street.

New street names:
Virginia Place

No information is available on the background of this name. An abstract in the area has been read, and all available sources investigated.

Young's Subdivision

The plat extended northeast and east a short distance from the southern end of Miles Street to Holmes Street, and was narrow from north to south.

New street names:
Youngs

Youngs Street is named for Bert and Effa E. Youngs the proprietors Mr. Young's grandfather took up land from the government on what is now Tuttle Hill Road.

Driscoll Court

Driscoll Court does not appear on any plat as it was opened after any plat in this area was made. It is a narrow street running east from Ballard, between Pearl and Washtenaw and is less than a block long

Mr. S. E. Driscoll of 212 North Hamilton says he had this court opened up about 1920, with the usual procedure. He then began to build, finishing three houses in all, one of which he and his family occupied for some time.

The court is named after Mr. Driscoll the man who owned the property.

Ainsworth Park Subdivision

This is a large area bounded on the northeast by Michigan Avenue, on the east by Hamilton, on the south by unplatted land, and on the west by Hawkins Street.

New street names:
Ainsworth Drive
Ainsworth Boulevard
Ainsworth Place

Ainsworth Drive leads into the area from South Hamilton, a little distance south of Michigan. It runs across the northern end of the area, with Ainsworth Boulevard running through the plat on three sides. Ainsworth Place connects Ainsworth Drive on the north with Ainsworth Boulevard on the south; however Ainsworth Place is now called Middle Drive.

The name Ainsworth is derived from O. A. Ainsworth who came here in 1868. He was proprietor, in time, of a large dairy herd on his farm just west of Ypsilanti on present Washtenaw Avenue. He owned most of the land through which the plat extended-this from Miss Woodard and Dr. Colburn's book.

College Heights Subdivision

This again was a large area. It was bounded on the north by the north corporation line, on the east by the east corporation line and Michigan State Normal property, on the south by Washtenaw most of the way, and on the west by Virginia Road.

New street names:
Oxford Road
Cambridge Road
Collegewood Drive
Kingwood Avenue
Roosevelt Boulevard
Ainsworth Lane
Fairview Circle
Hillside Court
Virginia Road
Whittier Road
Washtenaw

This property was platted by the Ypsi-Ann Land Company and the information is from Mr. J. Karl Malcolm, one of the firm.

Oxford and Cambridge were both named for streets in Ann Arbor, but these two streets along with Collegewood Drive are related to college associations. Kingwood was for a Mr. King living upon the property. Roosevelt Boulevard was for Theodore Roosevelt. Ainsworth Lane was for the Ainsworth family, previously mentioned. Fairview Circle was because of the semi-circular drive, and the fact that the land drops down toward the north. Hillside Court was a court on the side of the hill. Virginia Road was named for the state of Virginia. Whittier Road was named for the poet.

Ann Arbor Road and Ellis Street were finally combined into one street and renamed Washtenaw. The name is, of course, after the county; but it seems to have an Indian origin, appearing as Washtenong and Wushtenong, and meaning “Land Beyond”. This information is from “Past and Present of Washtenaw County” by Samuel W. Beakes.

Virginia Road was changed to Cornell Road by the Council April 15 1929 to avoid confusion with Virginia Place in the Gray Subdivision and again the college name is obvious.

Prospect Garden's Subdivision

This plat was bounded by Towner Street on the north, Emerick on the east, Davis Avenue on the south and an assessor's plat on the west.

New street names:
Arnet
Mildred
Ford

Arnet Street was named for Mr. Vincent Arnet one of the proprietors, Mildred for his daughter, and Ford for the late Henry Ford-this from Mr. Arnet.

The R. L. Owen Subdivision

This plat was bounded on the north by Washtenaw, on the east by the McCormick Subdivision, on the south by Cross and on the west by Normal Heights Subdivision.

New street names:
Owendale Avenue
Anna Avenue

Owendale Avenue, of course, was named for the proprietor, Richard L. Owen, son of Tubal Cain Owen.

Anna Avenue was for the mother of Mr. Owen, anna Foots Owen, daughter of Professor E. M. Foote of the Normal.

The Breakey Subdivision

It was bounded on the north by West Cross Street, on the east by the Gee property, on the south by Westmoorland, and on the west by unplatted land beyond Mansfield and beyond the city limits.

New street names:
Westmoorland Road
Mansfield

Westmoorland was named by the late Mrs. Breakey, mother of Judge Breakey. She was one of the proprietors. Judge Breakey says his mother had recently returned from visiting her sister, who lived on Westmoreland in Los Angeles and that she liked the name. She preferred the middle syllable spelled “more”, Judge Breakey said. Mrs. Gee, also one of the proprietors, said Mrs. Breakey looked to the West and said “West more land”. Practically all of the land to the west is still unplatted.

Mansfield Street was named for Charles W. Mansfield who had a farm in that area. Mrs. Breakey wished it so name. Mr. Mansfield had no children and this was a way to keep his name alive.

Prospect Park Subdivision

The land was bounded on the north by Holmes Road, on the east by Prospect, on the south by East Forest, and on the west it extended half-way to River Street.

New street names:
Dwight
Hemphill Road
Stanley
Gordon Avenue
Holmes Road

This land was a part of the original farm taken from the government by Joseph Peck, grandfather of Mr. Dwight Peck and Mr. Charles Peck. Their father was exchanged during a few terrifying moments for a papoose of the same age because the Indian mother failed to understand an American joke told by signs. The property, at least this portion of it, was sold to the Ypsi-Ann Land Company previously mentioned, a member of whom made these explanations.

Dwight Street was named for one of the owners. He and Mrs. Peck live in the homestead on East Forest.

Hemphill Road was named for Robert W. Hemphill, farmer, business man and banker. He once owned the farm, later owned by Mr. Beyer who donated to Beyer hospital.

Gordon Avenue was named for the maiden name of Mrs. Sink, wife of Mr. Sink of the University. Mr. Sink was financially interested in the Ypsi-Ann Land Company.

Stanley Road was named for Dr. Stanley of the University School of Music. He was an associate and friend of Mr. Sink.

Holmes Road was named for Edgar D. Holmes, father of Mr. Harvey C. Holmes, so long the city clerk. The family came about 1873 and owned the farm adjoining until 1919-this from Mr. Harvey C. Holmes.

Martin Place Subdivision

This plat extended westward in a narrow parcel of land from Miles to Prospect, and lay almost opposite the Young's plat.

New street names:
Martin

Martin Street was named for two of the platters, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Martin of whom I know nothing further.

The Woods Subdivision

This plat lay directly south-east of Recreation Park.

New street names:
North Woods Road
West Woods Road
South Woods Road
East Woods Road

The Woods Subdivision and therefore the street names are so called because Mrs. Gill, mother of Mr. Orlo Gill, kept a nursery here before the land was sold and platted. March 16, 1931 by petition to the City Council, North Woods Road was left as Woods Road and the other three were combined and changed to Pleasant Drive.

Emerick Heights Subdivision

The plat lay with unplatted land to the north and west, Emerick Street to the east, and Belleville Road on the south.

New street names:
Ashland
Winona
Belleville-Tyler Road

One of the platters, Mrs. Charles Fulford, said Ash trees grew abundantly on a portion of the land, and that they chose Winona just because they liked it. However these are not listed as streets now as the land was allowed to go back into acreage.

Belleville-Tyler Road runs from South Grove to Emerick, just north of the Express Highway and then easttward beyond the city where it eventually joins the Express Highway, and loads toward Belleville.

However, I believe Belleville itself should be traced to someone whose first or last name was Belle. As long ago as December 17, 1866, east to the Corporation line, Belle Street. The name occurs in the settlement of Belleville, too which is in Wayne County. I have been unable to go beyond more conjecture, however.

Altus Subdivision

This consisted of a very small area lying north and east of the Davis Addition.

New street names:
Ecorse

Ecorse Road, for a short distance, in making the turn from Michigan Avenue to Emerick, lies within the city limits. It is named as it is because it is the leading road to Ecorse.

Cherry Court Subdivision

This small plat extended from North River on the west to the Prospect Park Subdivision on the east and is two lots in width.

New street names:
Cherry Court

The story is that a few cherry trees were growing there, and so the court that was platted was given the name it bears. A resident near to the court supplied this information.

Ainsworth Park No. 1 Subdivision

This plat lies in the northeastern part of the Ainsworth Park Subdivision No. 2 already located.

New street names:
Ferris

The old name of Michigan Street was discontinued June 5, 1916 by act of the City Council to avoid confusion with Michigan Avenue. The street was named in honor of former Governor Ferris who served two terms-1911 and 1913.

O. R. Beal's Subdivision

The part here platted is lot number one of the Woods Subdivision.

New street names:
Linden Place

The large lot, number one, was arranged with short lots, and a drive running north in front of them. The drive is named Lynden Place just because the name appealed to the platters.

The Franklin Worden Property

This property was bounded by Michigan Avenue on the northwest, Hawkins Street on the east, Frederick Street on the south, and First Avenue on the west.

Streets were surveyed and opened up for the public with acceptance by the City Council, December 15, 1930.

New street names:
Franklin
Worden
Orchard
Hill
Short

Mr. Franklin Worden's Widow said she named Franklin Street after her husband's given name, Worden Street after his last name, Orchard Street because “We had a peach orchard there”, Hill Street because there was a hill, and Short Street because it was short.

Haig Subdivision

This plat was bounded on the north by Gilbert's Eastern Addition, by unplatted land on the east, by Young's Subdivision on the south, and the Cross and Shutt Addition on the southwest.

New street names:
Garland Avenue
Vinewood Court

The platters made the statement that there was no particular reason for choosing these names, merely a personal choice.

Ender's Subdivision

This small plat was bounded on the north by Harriet, on the east by the Willson Subdivision, on the south by Park Ridge Subdivision, and on the west by unplatted land.

New street names:
Perry
Ballard Avenue

The street runs parallel to the southern extension of Ballard Street-called Ballard Avenue here-to the east of it, and is only one block long. It was named for Mr. George Perry who worked for thirty-five years for Mr. Everett Wiard, the proprietor.

Lindsay Gardens Subdivision

This plat is in the northeastern part of the city. Holmes Road runs on the north of the eastern stretch of the plat. The east Corporation line runs on the eastern edge of this strip. The western strip runs through to North Prospect on the west, and east to the north and south strip just mentioned.

New street names:
Thomas
Carver

Mr. L. M. Thomas has informed me that Thomas Street was named for his father's family who came here in 1916, and purchased a sixteen acre tract in the area. Mr. Thomas also said Carver Street was named to honor Dr. Carver, the Negro scientist.

A few streets in unplatted land need to be mentioned.

Chidister Street

This street runs from north to south between Race Street and Spring Street, nearly at the foot of the embankment. May 4, 1871, a quit claim deed was received by the city from Mr. Cornwell and other parties for some land lying in this area.

Chidister Street was named for James M. Chidister who lived in the present Dr. George house, northeast corner Race and South Huron. He was a businessman, also alderman from the first ward, 1858.

Race Street

Race Street also lay in the area obtained by the quit claim deed just mentioned in connection with Chidister Street. Race Street now is the name from South Huron opposite Catherine, eastward and then southward to the bridge at the junction of Spring and Race. It formerly applied only to the north-south stretch which ran parallel to the old Race, Catherine being given to the east-west stretch of present Race.

The name was derived from an early constructed race or ditch that was dug to bring the Huron river waters more directly to the mill.

Armstrong Drive Armstrong Court

Armstrong Court runs at right angles across the southeastern stretch of Armstrong Drive. Both Armstrong Drive and Armstrong Court were named by the City Council in 1944 in honor of Mr. Samuel Armstrong, who died January 7, 1940, and who worked for the city for many, many years.

First Court runs eastward from First Avenue and is surrounded by Armstrong Drive.