THIS IS THE SECOND ARTICLE ON THE HISTORY AND NAMING OF SOME OF THE YPSILANTI SCHOOLS.
Adams School at the corner of Prospect and Oak streets is one of the oldest schools in the city with a history dating back to the 1830's. It was in 1825 when Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Peck and their five children came from New York State and bought a farm on East Forest Avenue. There were no Public Schools in the area at that time. So after becoming settled, Mr. Peck built a school on family property, near the intersection of River and Forest. The Brick Schoolhouse was known as the “Peck School Primary”. Later Mr. Peck sold the School to the 4th Ward School District. There were 99 children who attended the school.
A new site was chosen for the corner of Prospect and Oak Streets and in 1878, a four room school house was erected there at a cost of $4,000.00. It was called the 4th Ward School until 1902, when the School District was consolidated and the 4th Ward School was renamed Prospect School.
In 1919 the population of the area had increased and it became necessary to build a larger building, which was said to be the first one story school building in town. During the construction period, the school pupils attended a “Makeshift” building erected in Prospect Park.
The School was renamed again in 1963 when Olive M. Adams retired as Principal, a position she had held since 1934. After her retirement, Miss Adams moved to Midland, Michigan where she died in 1992.
In 1979, voters in the Ypsilanti School District approved a Bond Issue for the razing and the reconstruction of Adams Elementary School at 505 Oak Street. Two years later the new school was opened with 20 regular classrooms for grades one through 6, and many features that the former building did not have. It is now a well equipped school and serves a large part of the School Population.