Mr. Lewis White, Ypsilanti's First City Historian recorded some of the items from "the Ypsilantian", the local newspaper, the items make interesting reading.
THE YPSILANTIAN 1895:
JANUARY: High School is rebuilt following fire of 5-3-1894. It opened for School 1-10-1895.
FEBRUARY: New High School dedicated
MARCH: George Wiard's Cider Mill and Vinegar factory burned.
MAY: E.S. Reed of Wisconsin bot out George E. Smith's interest in the Ypsilanti Commerical.
Soldiers' Monument at Highland Cmemtery dedicated.
JUNE: Lodge(Eureka) organized at Light Guard Armory, K of P.
Drs. J.A. Watling and L.M. James moved into their new building at 119 N. Huron Street.
JULY: John Laidiaw in Michigan Central Gardens at Depot has a large floral display of Cantilever Bridge at Niagara Falls 40 feet long
Also engine and tender 4 feet long. 37 plants.
Electric Light plant in Milan in Service. 175 Incandescent and 2 street lights.
New City Well sunk near creamery on Harriet Street. Tested and found satisfactory.
AUGUST: Reunion of 4th Michigan Cavalry held in Ypsilanti. Three slight earth quake shocks between 5 and 6 A.M. Post office at Rawsonville discontinued.
DECEMBER; Francis P. Bogardus succeeded P.W. Carpenter as Postmaster'. Post Office at Rawsonville re-established.
Mayor Hazen S. Pingree of Detroit addressed the Annual Commencement
Exercises at Cleary College.
THE YPSILANTIAN -1896:
APRIL: Charles Woodruff Died.
JUNE: Initial meeting to form Local Chapter of D.A.R. held at home of Mrs. John Watling, 121 N. Huron at 3:00 P.M.
AUGUST: Ann Arbor Street Railway Company and the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Street Railway have been consolidated under the name of Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Electric Street Railway.
Corner Stone at Arbeiter Hall laid.
SEPTEMBER: The Quirk Vault in Highland Cemetery dedicated.
Erected by D. L. Quirk and presented to the Cemetery Association.