Press enter after choosing selection

Ypsilanti, 1898

Ypsilanti, 1898 image
Author
Doris Milliman
Rights Held By
Ypsilanti Historical Society
OCR Text

Feb: The Electric Road Company has bought the Lane Block and the old Creamery land on E. Congress Street and will erect a Power House, Car Barns, etc.

Apr. Company G, 31st Michigan Left for Island Lake for service in the Spanish-American War.

Electric Line tracks laid through the city except over Congress Street Bridge.

June: First Electric Car ran through to Detroit from Ypsilanti. Flag raising at Cass Plot at the Depot, Donated by Mrs. Bassett's School children. Dr. C.T. Allen invoked Divine Blessing. Mayor Davis spoke, Mr. B.M. Damon, Represented M.C.R.R. Dr. R.S. Boone, represented M.S.N.C.

Superintendent Austin George of the Ypsilanti Public Schools and Captain E.P. Allen spoke. Miss Lillian Damon hoisted the Flag. Service concluded with the Doxology.

First trip by Electric Car, Wayne to Ypsilanti. The small Ypsi-Ann was used, Trip was made every two hours. The first car that went through was Olive Green color and very roomy.

July: Cornerstone for Presbyterian Church at Saline was laid by Masons. Rev. R.K. Wharton and E.P. Allen delivered Addresses.

Sept: Cornerstone of New Congregational Church unveiled. North side of Peninsular Paper Mill destroyed by fire, Loss about $60,000.00.

Oct: Ypsilanti Sanitarium opened in Occidental Hotel with elaborate ceremonies. Dr. C.C. Yemens, Supt.

Conerstone of First Presbyterian Church laid. Boiler at portable Saw Mill exploded at the farm of James Mooney, Lewis Moore was thrown 30 feet against the fence and broke his arm.

The above items have been copied for a Chronology of events that was kept by Lewis White, the City's First Historian.


Doris Milliman