From the January Newsletter from the St. Luke's Episcopal Church, the following historical event has been noted. The Great Bell that once hung from the steeple of the church and now is located in the Memorial Cloister Garth was installed in the steeple in 1837, making it 130 years old The bell was cast especially for the church which had the tallest spire in the city–reaching a combined height of 120 feet. The spire was removed about 1970 because of the concern over tower stress. Recently architects have recommended that the tower be rebuilt and the bell set to ringing again in the proper spot.
Rights Held By
Ypsilanti Historical Society