Press enter after choosing selection

Ypsilanti Gleanings, Fall 2006

Download PDF
Rights Held By
Ypsilanti Historical Society
OCR Text

Official publication of the Ypsilanti Historical Society, featuring historical articles and reminisces of the people and places in the Ypsilanti area.

FALL 2006

In This Issue:

Tubal Cain Owen and the Healing Waters of Ypsilanti: Between 1880 and 1900, Ypsilanti became known far and wide for its mineral water enterprises.
EMU Intern Agreement Implemented: An agreement between the Ypsilanti Historical Society placing two graduate interns in the Museum and Archives has now been implemented.
The Roman Catholic Church Here Has Almost No History: The Roman Catholic presence in Ypsilanti dates back to the early 1800s when LaSalle and the French fur trappers traversed Washtenaw County with the Jesuits.
Jacob Thumm — Indian Artifact Collector of Ypsilanti: Jacob was a first generation American and a collector of Indian artifacts that are now on display in the YHS Museum.
Gleanings — Where Did That Name Come From?: The “Ypsilanti-Every-Morning-Since-WWII-Coffee-Drinkers-Group” comes up with some information about where the word “Gleanings” came from.
Ypsilanti High School Boys Band and the Ypsilanti Community Band: The Ypsilanti High School Boys Band dates back to 1925 when Professor John F. Barnhill visited Ypsilanti High School and recruited “any boy who can whistle.”
Company Coins From the 1800's: Company coins were used widely as a medium of exchange during and immediately after the Civil War.

Society Briefs:

Ypsilanti Historical Society Board/Members
From the President's Desk
News from the Fletcher White Archives
Museum Advisory Board Report

Download PDF


Ypsilanti Gleanings