In This Issue...
Brooks Food Center: An Ypsilanti Institution: The Brooks family food center in Ypsilanti was in its heyday in the 1950s and 1960s but the connection of the Brooks family to the food business started much earlier.
Washtenaw Community College-In the Beginning: Guy Hower describes the first few months of the start-up of Washtenaw Community College back in 1966.
History of the Doctoral Degree at Eastern Michigan University: Jack Minzey provides a detailed history of all the efforts that were made to develop and implement the first doctoral degree offered at Eastern Michigan University.
The “New” Old West Side: Margaret Porter describes the development of Ypsilanti's “West Side” during the mid 1900s.
Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show Comes to Ypsilanti: George Ridenour's research indicates that Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show visited Ypsilanti twice in the early 1900s.
Highland Cemetery-The Beginning: This is the first in a series of articles that will be published in the Gleanings about a valuable local treasure-the Highland Cemetery.
The City of Ypsilanti Tugboat: A tugboat named “The City of Ypsilanti” was recently sighted on Portage Lake. Further research revealed some of the history of this craft.
How Times Have Changed!: A 1927 Grace Hospital bill for the labor room and hospital stay of Marilyn Freatman (Begole) reveals how times have changed!
Wayside Signs & the Historical Museum: Bill Nickels has coordinated the design and installation of a new MotorCities sign that will be placed along the front sidewalk entrance to the Museum.