Press enter after choosing selection

Model Homes for Willow Village Redevelopment, August 1956

Model Homes for Willow Village Redevelopment, August 1956 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, August 29, 1956
Caption
VILLAGE MODELS READIED: These two model homes, the first visible step in a planned $150,000,000 redevelopment of Willow Village with private housing, are now nearing completion on Blossom St., just east and north of occupied portions of the Village. These houses, to cost in the area of $11,000 for the frame (left) and $12,000 for the brick, are the first of 61 planned in the lower-priced Washtenaw Orchards Subdivision No. 1. Construction of homes there and elsewhere will begin after the sales models have been completed and opened, spokesmen for the Willow Woods Development Co. of Detroit said. Private redevelopment of the wartime "Bomber City" began after Ypsilanti township purchased the village in November, 1954. No completion date has been set, although the existing Village structures are scheduled, by law, to be razed by July 1, 1958.

Demolition of Willow Village Temporary Housing Units, January 1967

Demolition of Willow Village Temporary Housing Units, January 1967 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, January 9, 1957
Caption
'BOMBER CITY' FADES: Razing of temporary housing units which make up Willow Village, the "Bomber City" of World War II, is continuing with 72 buildings containing more than 400 apartments already leveled. Only two-thirds of the 3,068 apartment units which provided wartime emergency housing remain occupied and standing. The entire temporary development must be eliminated by July 1, 1958, according to state law. Meanwhile, plans continue for building some 5,000 privately owned homes on the Village property.

New Low-Cost Housing Development at Willow Village, October 1957

New Low-Cost Housing Development at Willow Village, October 1957 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, October 2, 1957
Caption
LOW-COST VILLAGE HOMES: Eleven houses, available under Section 221 of the National Housing Act, are in advanced stages of construction on Clark Rd. in the western section of Willow Village. Other houses in the 373-lot Washtenaw Concourse Subdivisions are also under construction. The homes, intended chiefly for families displaced by the demolition of wartime housing in Willow Village, are being sold for less than $10,000 on 40-year mortgages. More than 80 families have already made deposits on the low-cost homes being built by the Willow Woods Development Co. as part of the redevelopment of the wartime "Bomber City." The first 50 "221" houses are expected to be completed before Jan. 1.

Children Playing in Front of Apartments in Willow Village's Clay Hill, October 1954

Children Playing in Front of Apartments in Willow Village's Clay Hill, October 1954 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, October 26, 1954
Caption
CLOTHESLINES, BUT NO TREES: The peak-roofed housing units (top), latest to be erected at Willow Village, are generally well-tended and maintained. This view from the backyard of one row of units, looking toward the front porches of another, demonstrates the temporary nature of planning for the development. Note coal boxes and oil tanks near the front porches, the absence of natural foliage and the "community clothesline" in the backyard. Below is a view of older, flat-roofed apartment units in the so-called Clay Hill section of the Village. It emphasizes that the units were designed for temporary use and would deteriorate without constant maintenance.